winterizing fresh water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2008
Beneteau 321 NSSC (Michigan)
On a Beneteau 321 there is a threaded pickup water tube in the holding tank, has anyone winterized the water system by threading a hose to the pickup tube in the tank. If so, what size is the thread?

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Not sure what you are trying to do...
We have the same boat.
To winterize here in Michigan, we have the tank pumped out well.
I sometime forget which way to put the level on the toilet, but I think if you put on "dry", it will bend the gasket. For the past couple of winters, I just loosen the top of the head valve (6 screws) so I don't have to worry...
I run a small amount of pink anti freeze thru the toilet.
Never had a problem in 14 years.
I am assuming you winterize your sinks and engine. Let me know if you do it or want to know how.

Oct 28, 2008
I am referring to the fresh water tank in the V- birth, if you unscrew the access plate and look inside there is a threaded tube in the front of the tank that runs forward to the water heater and sinks.

Jul 8, 2005
Oh sorry, was not thinking.
For that, I drain the tank and then disconnect the water hose at the water pump and just blow the couple ounces of water back into the water tank.
Then I have a 3 ft piece of water line with a coupling on one end. I screw on the coupling and stick the hose in the pink and winterize all the sinks. Very easy...

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
STRAIGHT GRAIN ALCOHOL !!!!! (FULL STRENGTH VODKA - 180 proof or 'moonshine' - 90% ) .....
FREEZING POINT for a 50:50 mix of water and ethanol is approx. -20°F

..... and you can 'recover' it in the spring ... to begin the 'festivities'.

scof25

Aug 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Quantico, VA
Party Solution - Too good to be true??

STRAIGHT GRAIN ALCOHOL !!!!! (FULL STRENGTH VODKA - 180 proof or 'moonshine' - 90% ) .....
FREEZING POINT for a 50:50 mix of water and ethanol is approx. -20°F

..... and you can 'recover' it in the spring ... to begin the 'festivities'.

This sounds too good and easy to be true?!?! Anybody try this? Any issues with the alcohol corroding the hoses or the components in water pump?

Jul 8, 2005
This sounds too good and easy to be true?!?! Anybody try this? Any issues with the alcohol corroding the hoses or the components in water pump?
I don't put anything in the fresh water tank to winterize it. I pump it as far down as possible and use an extractor to get the rest of the water out.

I have two extractors...one for oil changes only and one for water only...

Nov 24, 2012
I don't put anything in the fresh water tank to winterize it. I pump it as far down as possible and use an extractor to get the rest of the water out. I have two extractors...one for oil changes only and one for water only...[/QUOTE

So what happens with the water in the pumps?

Oct 6, 2010
Beneteau Oceanus 321 Carters Pt.
Drain tank with shop vac. I have an adaptor and lenght of tubing that fits the outlet of the water tank. Place tubing in jug of plumbing antifreeze start doestic water pump and open taps in sequence till antifreeze shows up.
Oh have previously bypassed water heater and drained heater also put above antifreeze in bilge and run bilge pump
Ours is a Ben 321

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On a Beneteau 321 there is a threaded pickup water tube in the holding tank, has anyone winterized the water system by threading a hose to the pickup tube in the tank. If so, what size is the thread?
Find the water tanks manifold or connection to the pressure pump, disconnect the water line and using a drill-powered pump, pump the water to your bilge sump, or a bucket. Obviously it helps to have used up your tank first. Once the tank has been pumped down, leave the water lines, and pump open until spring commissioning. Use the same drill pump to extract water from your house system (open the taps) and then drive potable antifreeze (alcohol free) thru your house water system.

The PO of my boat thought it was cool to fill his potable system with ethanol (cheap vodka from the PX) and he managed to destroy the rubber bits and pieces in the system, including the pump diaphragm. Did the same to both heads and their miscellaneous rubber bits.

Jul 8, 2005
I don't put anything in the fresh water tank to winterize it. I pump it as far down as possible and use an extractor to get the rest of the water out. I have two extractors...one for oil changes only and one for water only...[/QUOTE

So what happens with the water in the pumps?
Captn TJ,

I also use the same strategy written above. I disconnect the water supply just before the water pump. I have a 3 ft piece of hose with a connect on one end to attach to the intake of the pump. The other end goes in the anti freeze. Turn on the water pump and pump anti freeze (pink stuff) thru the pumps and out all faucets. I drain the hot water tank and have a bypass system so the antifreeze does not go in the hot water tank. Been doing that for 13 years...

With Gusto

Oct 28, 2008
Thanks for all the info, I ended up" Drain tank with shop vac. I have an adaptor and lenght of tubing that fits the outlet of the water tank. Place tubing in jug of plumbing antifreeze start doestic water pump and open taps in sequence till antifreeze shows up." Probably would have used less pick stuff by draining hot water take and using a bypass....thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.