Winterizing / Covering

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Mehringer

For anyone interested I just posted an article in the Photo Forum titled "Winterizing" which shows how to create PVC arches that make a framework for covering an H26. I'm always looking for ways to improve, so if you have any comments, please post them. Thanks

S

Steve

Stanchion Strength?

lOOKS GOOD! One question: it looks like you pulled the life line off? Did the swagged fitting cause a problem through the stanchion? Other observation, be careful, the actual strength of the stanchion, if you were to get a heavy wet snow/sleet event. I say this because I made something similar out of 3/4" wood strapping several years ago and broke a stanchion at the u welds on the deck on my H26. So beware.. clean the trap off of wet snow etc ASAP. Now, I relax the lifelines, prop the mast at the bow with a 4 foot board and drap the 20 x 30 trap tight. Good Luck Steve

R

Ron Mehringer

Stanchions - Steve

Steve - Thanks for passing along your experience. To overcome the stresses pushing outward on the stanchions (from both the arches themselves and any additional snow load) I think I will tie a line between each stanchion pair. This will help counter the outward load with some inward pull. Come next year it sure sound like your idea of lifting the mast higher at the bow and just draping across that would be a lot simpler. I have heard that if you do this, the mast should be supported in the middle because someone onc bent their mast due to snow load (must have bee A LOT of snow). Also, do the spreaders give you problems? Regards - Ron Mehringer

G

Gary T. L.

Bow Board

Ron; As Steve does, I also use an " mast elevator board" mounted at the Bow pulpit and then drape a tarp over the mast. The height of my board puts the spreader bars just over the lifelines and they also help to keep the tarp at the right slope. A bonus to using the "MEB" is that it also provides better access to the deck as it clears the mast and lines to about 4 foot - perfect for those Winter projects! Here's to Spring! Gary s/v Serenity

R

Ron Mehringer

Simplicity

More and more I'm starting to think that I made things to hard on myself. The simplicity of raising the mast at the bow seems to make sense.

J

Jim

Winterizing

Hi Ron, Back when I had my H19, I did the same thing you are doing. Be carefull, we had one snow that crushed the whole affair and broke one pipe that went through the tarp. After that I had a cover made that worked great, of course it cost a couple of dollars. Jim S/V Java

R

Richard

Jim -- where did you get the cover made?

Was it somewhere here in the DC area, or further away? And did it cover the mast or how did that work? I'm trying to figure out what to cover my '95 H26 with. It will be on land at a marina on South River, but I'm trying to think through the options.

T

Tom M.

M.E.B.

After reading this thread I changed my plans. I was going to put basically a stack of 2x4s on the bow pulpit to raise the mast up so that the tarp would drape better/more evenly. Instead I made a MEB (mast elevation board) out of 2x4 material. It sits kinda 'inside' the trailer winch (2x4 standing on end) (this is a h260 ). This required just a slight trim on the aft port side of the 2x4 to clear the small gear on the winch handle....at least I think it was the gear on the handle. Fits perfect. Then this piece of 2x4 goes up to about 4-5" below the bow running light, this allows room to lift the board from the winch without hitting the running light. Next I piggy backed another piece of 2x4 on the piece that sits in the winch FORWARD of the first piece and screwed it down with six 2.5-3" deck screws. At the top of this piece there are two short pieces ~8", of 2x4 screwed onto either side to hold the mast laterally. The mast sits in there perfectly too! The whole thing is five feet long plus the lateral supports, I tried six feet but that was too long cause the mast is articulating towards the aft and was too far aft. This is a great solution, it's a one piece thing, is easy to in/deinstall, the tarp drapes MUCH better, not to mention the top (anchor light) end of the mast is lower. For us the height of that end of the mast was preventing us from getting a covered storage spot cause it was 12 feet (or more) in the air, so now we will be able to get into a covered storage spot too! Next I am going to make a similar smaller one piece brace to place in the mast step for support in the middle. Tom M.

Status
Not open for further replies.