Winterize outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
For those of you that have 4 stroke outboards in cold climates, do you winterize them?
I’m thinking in terms of the water in the cylinder heads and impeller.
My small Yamaha has a flushing attachment.
Think I might squeeze some anti-freeze into it? (It’s not in the water)
Last year I just threw a tarp over the motor and placed a small light bulb at the bottom.
Thx in advance.

Oct 16, 2008
hunteer 23.5 st lawerence
I set mine up every fall, I will put the ear muffs on and start the water then the motor and let the motor warm up 3-4 mins then I remove the gasline from the motor while running wait till the gas is almost emtpy from the carbs and then fog the carbs.then yank the plugs and fog the cylinders, then drain the lower unit fluid and fill with fresh gear fluid. done....

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
OK

Assuming it's a four stroke, what about the water left in the cylinder heads. Couldn't that freeze.

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 23 Massabesic
I run the motor in a large bucket of water to warm it up, change the oil ( motor and lower end ) Run the carb dry and fog, drain the carb float bowl.Cover the motor with an old sheet and store it in my warm basement. In the spring I also change the sparkplug after I run the motor to clean out the flogging oil.

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
Thanks Scott

But I'm still not clear.
In the winterizing section of the Tohatsu , it states:
After flushing the outboard, allow the water to completely drain from the engine

then goes on to say:

Factors to keep in mind:
·

·Storing out of the water could cause damage if the outside temperature reaches freezing and there is water in your lower unit.

So... how do you get the water out, or how to you flush it with antifreeze?
I used to pack it into the shop in the Fall but I'm just not able to do that any more.
Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. Just seems like it could do some damage. thx

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 260 Portland, OR
Re: Thanks Scott

I have a 4 cycle Honda 9.9 hard mounted on our 260. I have it serviced every spring at the Honda dealer in Salem before we relaunch on the Columbia. Since we can't have them winterize in the fall, the techs told me to pull the starter cord a few times on pullout with the ignition off to pump the water out manually (I fog the cylinders myself). Our boat is cold stored on the trailer. So far so good.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
How hard does it freeze where you are? I have an 8HP Honda that I bought in May; first time for me to winterize it. I pulled it from boat and have it in my basement, so I don't have to worry about freezing. Caution for you: I pulled the lower unit to check/replace impeller. My motor's lower unit has cavities below the pump area, intended to be drained through small (maybe 1/8 inch?) holes to the outside. In mine, the frontmost of the 2 holes, and the cavity behind it, was blocked with hard, crusty mudlike substance. It would never have drained. I assume a hard freeze might have possibly caused that water to cause cracking. Check that, and if you're a "belt and suspenders" person like me, pull the LU to check - it isn't that hard, particularly if you only need to pull it down around a foot to check (in other words, you don't have to fully remove the shift linkage fitting at the top of the rod - again, based on my Honda).

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
Good to know

Thanks. I'll check for those drain holes.
It has already been down to 21 degrees.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The damage from freezing water happens within 5 degrees of 32. Below 26 or 27 degrees frozen water continues to shrink like all other materials. Only above 26 degrees and below 32 does expansion happen and this is where the damage occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.