Winter Store the Dutchman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
How do most owners store their main when they have the Dutchman system? Do you pull the lines out for the winter, or drop the topping lift unit along with the sail and sort of carefuly fold it all together?

Looking for advice on this, and how people winterize their air cond?

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
In the past I had left the topping lift in place and just took the filament out from the foot of the sail. That's when the boat stayed in the water. It wasn't a big deal to re-thread when spring rolled around.

With the 310, I stored it out of the water for the winter and the yard requires us to remove the boom so I took the whole thing down this past season. It was almost impossible to keep from tangling up and was a pain to put back up because of that. I'm sure someone with patience wouldn't have had that problem though!

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
When removing the sail, I have removed the topping lift lines. I then mak use ot tie wraps to fanfold/coil each monofilament close to top exit slot. coiling topping line then leaves a fairly manageable bundle that will stay in "contact" with the sail.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Left them up

I just undid them from the bottom of the sail and strung them back on the backstay out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.