Winter Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

Hi to all the Daysailers: I was curious if many DS I owners do much winter sailing? In Central Oklahoma, there are a lot of times when we have temperatures in the high 40's or 50's, with moderate winds, in the middle of the winter. Of course, these days usually happen when I cannot get to the lake due to having to try and make a living. But, I would like to know what to wear on these type days to keep this little body of mine warm. I have foul weather suit, gloves and socks, purchased at West Marine, but what to wear under the foul weather gear. Or, is there anyother type of clothing that should be considered. When launching my boat I have to get my feet wet, usually to the middle of the calf to the knee. Being winter, the water temperature would probably be in the 40's. (darn cold) I would only be sailing in winds of 15 mph, or less. So I am going to be real picky as to the temperature and winds. Any ideas? Gary Dancing Girls II 1966 DS I #3235

B

bruce cornell

cold

would consider an exposure suit from stearns or other companies that sell them, or wetsuit/drysuit used by daysailors or sailboarders. polar fleese under the foul weather should keep you warm, but not if you capsize, which could be the end of your sailing career, in water that cold it would not take too lonf.

G

Gary

Thanks Bruce

Thanks for the website about the wet suits. Like I said, I wuold be real picky about the temerature and winds. Capsizing is not what I would want to do in a cold lake. I am just guessing about water temperature, but it surely would have to be cold, and I am not ready to give up my sailing career as of yet. I have not done any real winter sailing yet, but if the conditions were right I would like to give it a try. I know I would have the lake all to myself, and with my handy VHF radio and cell phone, I should surely be able to get the lake patrol if I did have any problems. They are pretty good around here, and being in the middle of the City could always get 911. Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the wet suits. Gary Dancing Girls II 1966 DS I #3235

Sep 25, 2005
Oday DaySailer Patty K
Wet feet

Gary, I've been thinking about getting a pair of waders so after I launch, I can take them off and be dry as I board from the dock. The mid thigh ones would be enough. I also had some luck last time I single-handed with tying a long line on the stern cleat, backing in as normal, walking the line overland to the dock and then standing over on the dock and pulling her over to me. I just used a cheap 50' 1/4" nylon from Wally world. That time, I only had to get wet when loading...still working on that. Of course, it was during the week so I was the only one at the ramp, much as I suspect you are on Friday mornings. As for warmth under the foul weather, I've thought about wool which keeps its warmth even when wet (may be too heavy though). I too am not ready to give up the ghost for the winter. You going to be there tomorrow?

G

Gary

Brilliant

Mike: Brilliant idea about the waders. Why had I not thought of using waders to launch. I am going to look into it. I have thought of using a very long line to walk the boat to the dock. Launching and retrieving I have to get wet, usually up to the knees. Like Bruce mentioned, I am going to look into a wet suit, or dry suit for safety in case of an unfortunate event that puts me into the drink. Do not really want to meet Davey Jones just yet. I will be very picky about the wind situation when the water temperature is low. Hasn't the weather been great,except for the winds? I am going to the lake tomorrow to check on the boat. May have a little water in it from last Mondays rain. I have been watching our TV weather wizards all week and they cannot find a common denominator on how strong the winds will be on Friday. No way will I be on the lake with 30+ mph gusts. Watching the weather channel today, they changed from 10-20 mph to 15-25 mph for Friday morning and getting less as the day goes on. But the morning is the only time I can sail. I guess I will listen on the VHF in the morning and see what NOAA has to say. Then I will make the decision once I am at the lake. Take care and keep us informed of your winter sailing. Gary 1966 DS I, #3235 Dancing Girls II

Jul 13, 2005
- - Rensselaer, NY
North East off-season Sailing

Well we can't sail in NY in the winter with out skates on the boat, the fresh water gets pretty dense. But if you launch today you may get two more days of sailing in this season. Its supposed to be 68 today and tomorrow winds 5 - 10, nice November weather in the big N.E. Just wear jeans a fleece or windbreaker and don't tip over! I'd go do it but I gotta go to A.C., N.J and see my brother sailer with the 27 foot twin engine job. He's turning the big 5 0, So I guess my DS, the Paisano is in the backyard till April....Happy winter sailing all you southerners....

G

Gary

No sailing today

Well, no sailing today. Darn it. ( I could use stronger language, but this is a family website) Up this morning about 7 AM, truck loaded with gear. Then found out the sewer had backed up and our deep freezer was thawing on its own. Water everywhere. So, you guessed it, I had to call the plumber, and clean around the deep freeze. Luckily, the deep freeze seems to be working and I think that the door was not fully closed. But the plumber arrived to save the day about 10 AM and by the time he finished there was not enough time for me to get to the lake, rig the boat, sail, then de-rig the boat and get back home before the little lady gets home. She has plans for me later today and the rest of the weekend, and not fun things either. Lots of honeydo's. But I did get to the lake to check out the boat and get a temperature reading of how cold the water is. Water is about 56 F. Getting cold. Winds were not too bad, about 17 mph, but the morning just got away from me. Guess I will have to look into a wet suit since the water temp. is in the 50's. At least for safety sake. Oh well, maybe next weekend. Fair winds to all. Gary "Dancing Girls II", #3235 1966, DS I

Status
Not open for further replies.