winter projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corey

Hi everybody, the boat is out of the water now. This was my first season of sailing and I had a blast. Now what??? Just wondering what you guys had in mind over the winter. Thanks, Corey.

R

Roger Cunningham

maintenance

Glad to hear you had a great time Corey. Did you sail in salt or fresh water? If it was salt then it is very important to wash the entire boat down and get the salt off. Depending on where you store the boat and your weather conditions, you might want to check the keel and related parts. Check out the keel hanger bolts for tighteness/looseness (use a torque wrench) 32 lbs max. If you don't know how long the keel hanger bolts have been in there you should replace them. Catalina recommends every 2 years. How about the cable? Winch? Keel zincs? All should be checked. How about the hose below the winch that the cable runs thru? Try looking at http://www.spiritone.com/~mack/c22/ see "Technical Tips" This should give you something to work on for the winter. Remember...it's best to discover a problem while she's high and dry than while you're out sailing. Best wishes!

A

Aldo Camacci

Build Something

Corey: I don't even have the snow cover on my boat yet, and I miss sailing it so bad I don't know how I will make it through this winter. I usually make things for my boat over the winter. We like to cruise our Catalina 22. Here are a few things from my list for this winter: I want to make a teak block to hold our dinghy motor. I made a quick one out of pine, but now I want to remake it from teak. It goes on the starboard side of the travler bar. I want to make a circuit to turn on the anchor light when the sun goes down when we go out to dinner. I just found the circuit for this the other day, and it looks easy and cheap to make. It will also turn off the anchor light at sunrise. I plan on adding the turnbuckle that connects the plate under the forestay to the trailer ring. My boat, an '80, didn't come with this, but I am told that it was added to later models. My sons are getting older and we are sailing harder again, so I want to increase the strength of this part of the boat. I want to remake the screens that cover the hatches. The front one is held on with velcro, and the rear one snaps onto the boards beside the hatchway, and with velcro on the inside of the sliding hatch. If you cruise your boat, fitted sheets are something that is really a big convenience. Another thing that you can do to get through the winter is build a radio control sailboat. A few years ago, I built one called Victoria. It was fun to build and is fun to sail. We often bring them to the picnics for our Catalina 22 fleet. The thing is, if you build one, you will alsmost certainly build two. You will need to have a second one so that you will can race someone. I hope this helps, Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.