Winter Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Oday 22 Oneida Lake, Syracuse, NY
I bought an O'Day 22 this fall (upgrading from my venerable Hobie 16), and naturally there is a list of winter projects ranging from necessary to nicety that I would love to get done. Unfortunately, although my boat's sitting ride outside (on its trailer in my driveway), it is currently covered in 2 feet of snow, and it's below freezing out. I have a tarp thrown over a PVC frame I built myself. It's keeping the snow from accumulating in the cockpit, but it makes it awefully difficult to get inside. I know a lot of work gets done in the winter, but I was wondering what tips you all may have to make a boat more workable. How do you do it?

J Page

Feb 5, 2004
Hunter 30 Muskegon MI
If you have the budget

For about $250.00 you can buy one of those portable PVC/tarp type garages and a heat buddy heater for on top of your propane grill tank. It's a one time investment that will keep you working on the boat over the next few winters, + heat while your ice fishin'. If its like it is around here(Michigan) ice fishing was just getting started until this weekends record heat and rain. Too bad too, i was looking forward to ice boat season early this year.

Lugeman

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina C-27 Providence, RI
and a lp gas heater is the way to go. I purchased a tent and heater last year and I'm currently working on a 23' Oday tempest inside. This is my second year using this set-up and it sure beets the price of inside storage. (that's if you can find a storage facility that will let you do work on your boat.)

Attachments

Dan

Jul 26, 2006
Hunter 420 Stamford
I use a hair dryer to warm the cabin. I find it can increase the temperature a good 10 - 20 degrees inside in about a half hour to an hour.

Jan 22, 2008
Sundance Sundance 20 Weekender Ninette, Manitoba, Canada
It's really difficult to get any good quality fg work done when all the materials are cold. I try to bring home the parts I want to work on over the winter if they are removable. Right now in the basement workshop I have a few projects on the go, everything from sail repair cover, cushion modification, berth extension, and wiring a new electrical panel. As well, I have a list from the fall of all the things I have to order and usually do that in late winter so that they arrive in time for the first thaw.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Congrats on your new boat Brian! I'm lucky enough to be able to store mine in my shop during the off season. If I didn't have the shop, I think I'd look at the tent ideas presented here by others. If you're working on a project in the cabin, a small electric heater will warm up that area within a half hour and not create a bunch of condensation.

JerryA

Sep 29, 2008
Oday 22 Oneida Lake, Syracuse, NY
Thanks for all the ideas! The tent sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure if it's worth that much money to me. I managed to rig the tarp in such a way that I can untie just the back section, and climb on board. I bought a small electric heater, and it really does warm up the cockpit area/cabin really well. I have removed everything I can from the boat (cushions, water jug, porta potty, etc) and will work on them inside. Thanks again for the input.

Nov 9, 2008
Com-Pac Yacht Com-Pac 16 Colorado
Brian, your boat is larger than my com-pac 16, however I keep mine in the backyard, and the mast lays down, but on my mast holders. I just throw a 25 foot tarp over it for the winter. I can get in it from the back, somedays I go in the boat to just get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.