Winter Project or ...

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Had a friend help my tune my rig today. All went well until I looked at the port shroud and the bracket has a crack in the weld. :eek: He thinks it is a minor detail as the stay is a solid piece and the weld is just to keep the top plate in place.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of a source?

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Had a friend help my tune my rig today. All went well until I looked at the port shroud and the bracket has a crack in the weld. :eek: He thinks it is a minor detail as the stay is a solid piece and the weld is just to keep the top plate in place.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of a source?
Source: Catalina Yachts or Catalina Direct.

Issue: Not really. The crack is between the cover plate and the main brace to below. Analyze how YOUR chainplate design works. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Get a new chainplate, but don't worry about this one.

Good luck.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As Stu said that is a cover in a two part system. I have undone those and rebedded the cover and chain plate. I might make sense to rebed them since you don't see any sealant in that crack.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Thanks

As Stu said that is a cover in a two part system. I have undone those and rebedded the cover and chain plate. I might make sense to rebed them since you don't see any sealant in that crack.
JK, The chainplate is bedded below with (you guessed it - Bed it Butyl). As the excess squeezed out over time I just trimmed it away. From looking at the design the flat stock is a single piece they slid the square plate over and welded it on in that spot. There is nowhere for any sealant to squeeze out except for the sides.

Stu, Figured this might be a Catalina factory order.

I will post an update when I get to the job, as I am starting to toy with the idea of replacing all the standing rigging.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK, The chainplate is bedded below with (you guessed it - Bed it Butyl). As the excess squeezed out over time I just trimmed it away. From looking at the design the flat stock is a single piece they slid the square plate over and welded it on in that spot. There is nowhere for any sealant to squeeze out except for the sides. Stu, Figured this might be a Catalina factory order. I will post an update when I get to the job, as I am starting to toy with the idea of replacing all the standing rigging.
Ok so this is your aft shroud. That is one piece but I don't think that plate is structural. This plate is connected to the bar below deck. That is where the Stuctrual support comes from. I think I was the replacement on Catalina direct.