Winter Boat Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

February's here. Can spring be far away? Did you have one or more boat projects on your to-do list from last fall? What did you want to have fixed, upgraded or added before the start of the spring sailing season? How are you coming along? Are you ready to go? Or are you going to be pushed to have everything ready for spring? Share your winter project stories then vote in the Quick Quiz on the bottom of the home page. (Quiz contributed by Gary Wyngarden)

C

Captain Kimo

Punch List for boat

February's here. Can spring be far away? > Did you have one or more boat projects on your to-do list from last fall? ¥Install Humminbird SX10 Fish Finder (internal transducer under V berth and display on forward starboard cockpit bulkhead. ¥Install Automatic electric bilge pump below cooler location. ¥Install fresh water system with pump with tanks under V berth and pump under galley. ¥Install DC outlets at pedestal and saloon location. ¥Install hangers for poles (boat hook, mast raising gin pole, oar, wash brush) >What did you want to have fixed, upgraded or added before the start of the spring sailing season? ¥ Install spring loaded blocks on the quarters for gennecker sheets. ¥ Install combination steaming light and anchor light at Mast cap. >How are you coming along? Are you ready to go? Or are you going to be pushed to have everything ready for spring? ¥ I will be pushed. Weather too nice to waste on working on boat. Rather be sailing. >Share your winter project stories then vote in the Quick Quiz on the bottom of the home page. ¥ Tuning shroads and stays. Removing rack of mast to 1¡ to vertical. ¥ Clean and was the bottom of the boat. ¥ Shim rudders and Center Board. ¥ Reverse pincle to starboard rudder to take motor control arm during sailing.

D

David L. North

SPRING COMMISSIONING

We are purchasing a Bavaria 32 to put inot charter about 600 miles from where we live. That puts some wrinkles in the commissioning and outfittting process. So far the projects have been about spending money to equip the boat (second anchor, brugee halyards, radar refelctors, flag staff and flag, purchasng charts and cruising guides, galley supplies (dishes and cutlery) and of course we still have to buy a dinghy and motor). What surprises me is how much of this material is available in Alberta, a province wiith no border on the sea! Progress has been good so far. With a projected delivery some time in May we can hardly wait to get the boat on the water and delivered to the charterer. The maiden voyage will take us from Vancouver BC to Sidney B.C. Hoping for good weather with the wind at our back and the big jib drawing.

B

Bob Camarena

Bottom, Cushions, Electrical

I have three projects: 1. Haul, do bottom (I'll do repairs and have the yard do the sanding and painting) 2. Finish re-covering interior cushions. We're about half done. 3. Re-build or replace electrical panel. It's grown into a hodgepodge. 4. Last, but most important, go sailing!

B

Bob

Electrical-Surge Suppressor

After repairing and re-installing my 50 pound Heart Interface 20, I installed a 30 amp Surge Suppressor from TRC (available through www.campingworld.com). I think the inverter blew due to a combination of high amp usage and a power spike on the dock. What is amazing is that there is not one single surge suppression device listed in West Marine, Boat US, Defender, etc. The installation was easy and will protect the boat from these transient power spikes. BTW - check out the prices on electrical and other components on the Camping World website. Some of their prices really beat the marine catalogs!

J

John Eastin

Not Even Close

Had really well intentioned plans....update the electrical system, change out a thru-hull, add some shelving to the hanging locker (removable shelving), and a few other less essential things. Unfortunately I've been lucky to get time to check the bilge pump and make sure she's still afloat. Alas, it will be another busy, busy spring!

R

Raymond Ortega

Getting there

Well, so far I've been very lucky to have good weather. I am in the process of refinishing all of the interior and exterior wood on my '84 Hunter 25.5. One more nice weekend should do it. The next project is to replace the outboard mount. The previous owner lost a few parts and I cannot locate replacements, so I plan to replace it with one sturdy enough for my Honda 7.5 outboard. I am also trying to fix the recurring leak in the poptop. Before long, I'll clean the sails and (hopefully) be ready to actually do some sailing in March.

A

Al S

Winter? Winter, oh yes it did hit 40...

a few nights ago when we sailed to Green Cove Springs ;^) . Actually we should be on the hard tomorrow and I have a decent "to do" list for the next two weeks, but should be in the water by the 1st week in March or so. To me, this is the best time of year to haul out as its not too hot to work on the boat. I did a haul out in May two years ago and never again! Don't know how Denny P does it during the summer as I spent three days hanging in a lazerette replacing sanitation hose in May and lost several pounds in sweat. I do hate the doldrums of summer but there is still a sea breeze to catch most of the time.

R

Rob R.

Too busy sailing....

70's here on Sunday... Wind was 10-15 knots, lake was flat. The boat didn't want to slow down or go home, and neither did I. I'm finally getting close to that Valhalla that we all dream of - the day when most of the upgrades and to do lists are done... While there will always be "something" to do, I love being at the point where I sail more than ever, and spend less and less time at the dock. Rob 1979 Catalina 27 #4221

G

Reccomendations

I suggest that you get that one done to a pro because the place that you want to mess with is a very important part for your boats rigidity. It actually keeps the bow of your boat rigid so before you get in there with a saw I suggest that you bring a salty dog in and show him your problem. Because if you can't make that place as rigid as it should be or more rigid than it is suppose to be you might have some problems. Good Luck,

J

Jim Maroldo

Lots to do on the "Lil Wass Ett"!

1) replaced original cheap ply in v-berth with 1/2" marine ply and sealed all interior wood. 2) added 120v shore power

H

Harry Asbury

It's always sailing time in Florida

In October did a three day sailing trip. Got back and pulled the boat on Monday. Did a bottom job and replaced all through hull fittings and sea cocks, stuffing box and shaft log, pulled the shaft strut, replaced the bolts and rebedded it. Then we dropped the rudder and replaced bushings, made and fitted a new bronze bushing at the top of the rudder shaft and a new delrin top ring. Pulled the engine, fuel tank, then pulled the wheel pedestal, sand blasted and repainted it, added wiring for the GPS and put it all back in the boat. The next Monday we dropped the boat back in the wet and that weekend did an over nighter. It was great to be back sailing. Went out last Saturday, highs in the upper 60's, it was great! I don't think I could live where I couldn't sail all year long.

R

Rick Tenan

It's REAL winter here!

Hello fellow sailors: Here in northeast Ohio, we have real winter. Snow, ice, cold and clammy are mixes for the season. It's hard to get anything done on the boat during an Ohio winter. The list includes a new depth sounder, new GPS mount, new companionway hatch, epoxy barrier coat, VC17, new 25 watt VHF, new microwave, new galley cabinet, new battery switch, and new steps on the swim ladder. All of which has to be done prior to May 1. I will be pushed, to say the least. The galley cabinet is started, the GPS and depth sounder are started, and the rest are planned. Later this season I want to install baby stays and lazy jacks, but I can do that after she's in the water. Oh well, it's only money! Rick Tenan s/v DevOcean

T

Tom Lasek

Almost Ready

Bottom job. Re-rig next month then I am ready to go in a blow.

T

Tom

Quite a few things

Re-do Electrical System - Parallel two 4-D's, Add AGM Starter battery, Link 10 Battery monitor and echo charger. Add auto float switch to pump in Shower drain Add Anchor Washdown Redesign anchor roller Add Down switch to windlass and Remote Up/Down in Cockpit. Add remote Autopilot control

W

William W. Hamilton

Repairs

A boat is always in need of some repair. I want to do gelcoat repairs but it is still too cold to do. I have purchased supplies and now I need 50 degree weather. Won't have this for another 30 days. Itching to go.

R

Ron Searcy

Canvas Work , etc.,etc.

I wasn't going to replace my bimini yet , but I got a good deal

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 2/24/2002: Did you have some boat projects on your to-do list from last fall? 69% Projects aren't done yet, but I'll be ready  19% Uh oh 08% Projects are done, boat's ready, can't wait for spring  05% Didn't have any 

M

Mike Colucci

too much to do, too little time

Well, with the warm weather, I decided to get a jump on my new (to me) O'day 22. I had a list of improvements that I knew I needed to make ( new mast, teak refinishing, new electrical inside and out) but when I started to poke around the other day I noticed that the screws holding the mast tabernacle to the deck were loose. Well, I found the the big "R" word. Two of the screws were loose because of some rot that I have uncovered. It's not a lot but enough to really irritate me. Now I have to remove the rotted section of balsa and inject epoxy, redirll new holes, add a backing plate and do more work that I had hoped for, and more that I really know how to do. Hopefully with the guidance of all of you and a few good friends I'll be able to get all my projects done by April 28 ( the scheduled day it goes in the water) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mike "Maestro" Colucci

T

Tony

Winter

Wanted ti investigate and purchase a new bbq did so dickinson wanter to remove all teak from stern seats, strip, refinish done used sikkens 3 coats under two over gloss came out like glass hate to put in weather launch week of 4/15 rarin to go tony

Status
Not open for further replies.