Wing or Swing Keel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Jennings

Hi All, I currently own a Catalina 22 with a swing keel. I am considering another Catalina 22 with a wing keel. I like the swing keel for the shoal draft and decent upwind performance. Obviously the wing keel has advantages such as no moving parts. Does anyone have any information or opinion about the upwind performance of shoal draft wing keels in general or those on Catalina 22s in particular? Are there any other benefits to a wing keel? How are they in terms of stability for instance? I have found a used 22 that I really like and would buy in a minute but it has a wing keel and I'm not sure if that's what I want. I mostly day sail in the bay and ocean although I'm planning on some short cruises like to Catalina Island so open ocean handling is somewhat important. Thanks to anyone who has any input. Brian

R

Richard A. Marble

Just a thought

I used to own a Catalina 22 with a swing keel. I now own a Hunter 27 with a deep keel. I never thought the 22 went to weather well. It always side slipped to the point when I saw a lobster pot and I was on a tack I always had to go to the lee side of it or I would drift into it. I can't believe a fixed wing keel would side slip as bad as a swing keel.

D

Diego

C22 wing owner

I just bought a 1989 wing and I am also wondering how it will compare to my 1976 swing C22.I have sailed it only two times so far so have not really put it to the full test.What I do like about it is the upgrades thru the years.These include anchor locker,see thru forward hatch with improved latches,internal halyards,separate cockpit fuel locker,cockpit drain on transom,stainless steel fittings on spreader brackets...and alot less worry about the swing keel falling off.

B

Brian Jennings

Later Model C22s Rock!

Hi Diego, I have looked at a 1988 C22 and fully agree with your assessment of the newer model. They are light years ahead of the 70s models. I can't wait to get one! Thanks for the reply. Brian

D

Don

I like the swing Keel

I've owned two C-22s with swing keels and two larger boats with fixed keels. I think the swing keel was and is still a great idea. Like everything on our boats they must be maintained. If you don't like maintaining your boat, perhaps you might like a Sea Ray? Sailboats have a lot of things that require maintenence (in some cases just an annual inspection). The first time you plant that wing keel in some mud and have to call Boat US to pull you off, you may find yourself wishing you had a swinger! Swing keel (and board boats) can get in where it's shallower for swimming and usually are easier to lauch off a trailer. I suspect my words are in vain though, keel discussions are much like politics. Happy sails, Don

T

tomD

going windward with a swing keel

The tests I have read comparing fixed and swing keels on Catalinas were related to racing: there was a feeling that the swing keels should be given an advantage because the did not point as well. They, whomever the mysterious they are, did comparison tests and drew the conclusion that swing keel boats performed as well as fixed keel boats: when properly tuned. Often the difference is rigging tuning. A fixed keel boat is often set up and tuned and left, a swing keel is taken apart retularly and never adjusted after the mast re-stepped. If you take the time to rake the mast and harden up your sidestays, the swing keel C-22 will handle very well to wind. The real test is in heavier air since the boat is inherently a 'corky' boat--it bounces and bobs in waves and windgusts. Two weekends ago we had mine out in 25 knots with one reef in the main and 110 jib--overpowered closed hauled--changed out the headsail to a 32 ft2 storm jib and it pointed very high, tracked well, did not suffer the weatherhelm. But every spring I check halyard tension and mast rake before heading out: Catalina has an excellent tuning article on the web. Maybe it's not the keel, maybe it's the tuning.

May 17, 2004
O Day 26 North Coast (Lake Erie)
Fixed Keel O'Day

My O Day 22 shoal-draft fixed keel will go to weather sweetly and I can go in to shore in soft sand/mud anchor and step off the ladder and walk on to the beach. I have to stay away from hard bottom areas but then who in their right mind wouldn't? I did not notice any difference in this boat's handling compared to my previous swing-keeled cruiser although it seems much more dedicated in heavy weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.