wing Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Citation

Buying a 30 foot catalina tall rig. It has a wing keel. I would like to hear the pros and cons versas a standard keel. I don't race. The boat will be used for bay sailing and runs from S.D. to catalina Island. Thanks

C

Chuck Graser

Columbine, a 1987 C-30 with standard rig has a wing keel. We sail San Francisc Bay, Delta, and coastal. As far as we can tell when we are sailing in the company of other C-30s, there isn't any performance different between keels. I also understand that the two keels race with the same rating. You don't have much shallow water sailing to Catalina Island, but we sure enjoy the wing keel in some of the shallow Bay and Delta waters. Chuck COLUMBINE

B

Bryan C.

Wings

A winged or bulb keel is not as efficient of a foil as a full sized keel. Generally you cannot point quite as high and in light winds it presents a bit more drag. The main advantage is you can go into shallower water. Over here in So Fla I would not trade my shallow draft wing keel because it lets me get into a lot of places I otherwise couldn't. If shallow water is not an issue, all things being equal I'd go full size. But if you're not into racing I wouldn't worry about it.

S

Stephen Ostrander

wing vs. fin

I have a wing keel on my h33.5. This year at my marina on the Great Lakes their were approx. 15 boats with fin keels that couldn't launch. So this year I was glad I had a wing. For cruising, they are the ticket. For racing, get a fin.

A

Alex

Unless you need shallow draft..

.. a fin keel ,is better on most other point of view. It points better , it gets less lee-way, it tracks better ( a stright line) , more so on choppy/wavy conditions , it roll less. In case you get stuck ,you can get of the bottom eassier ( the wing tips will tend to dig in); the winglets are entraped eassier by fisherman nets or related submerged ropes,and much harder to get rid of them; A smooth rounded keel end will let them go. Not only you don't see them on racers , but you don't see them on long distance cruisers as well , unless specificlly destinated for shallow waters regions. Early (93-95) Hunters of medium size were made almost exclusively with wing keels ; later ,probably as market demanded, you could get a fin instead as option; nowdays one can get both. After 5 years of experience of coastal and offshore cruising as well as club racing,I would trade the wing keel on my '29.5' happily for a fin keel-if only possible..

R

Richard Gottlieb

Trailering

While I own a Hunter 270, with a wing keel I am able to trailer my boat which is something that I could never do with my old fin-keeled Ranger 33.

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Wings

If I am not mistaken, winged keels were first utilized on Americas Cup racers in the 1970's, so that can't be all that slow if the "rock stars" utilize them. But again, if you are not seriously racing, then I wouldn't worry one way or another. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

G

Gary Jensen

sold on a wing keel

As a West Coast sailor (San Francisco area)...I'v been sailing a lot since 1980 when I bought a fin keeled 27 O' Day. It sailed very well...Then in 94 I bought a fin keeled 36 Catalina and it sailed well. This year I bought a 380 fin keel Catalina and to tell the truth there is NO apreciable difference. I hear a lot of yatta, yatta yatta by folks who only talk from theory. I have sailed both in the same waters, same currents,same chop and I see no difference. When it comes to theory, it would be difficult to explain why they (fin keels)are not used by the Aussies and Kiwis nor anyone else competing.I also race on a fin keel 36 Catalina, K division, and think both are the same......

Status
Not open for further replies.