Wing Keel Measurement

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Any chance one of you guys who trailer's your WK CP22 could give me the height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the midships stanchion? I'm planning to build the Taj Magarage this winter and would like to know if I can get away with an 8' door.

I looked for the old Info sticky-post but couldn't find it. Any body got it that they could re-post (or direct me to it on the site)?
Thanks,
Marty

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Rightbrainer said:
Any chance one of you guys who trailer's your WK CP22 could give me the height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the midships stanchion? I'm planning to build the Taj Magarage this winter and would like to know if I can get away with an 8' door.

I looked for the old Info sticky-post but couldn't find it. Any body got it that they could re-post (or direct me to it on the site)?
Thanks,
Marty
8' door no... but a 9' door will work. I've done it.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
an 8' door would be just about deck height for my fin on the trailer. Can you say 13' door? :D

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Hi Guys-I know my chances aren't that great, but I'd sure appreciate it if someone could take an actual measurement from the bottom of their wing keel to the top of their midships stanchion. My trailer may be different from yours, so measuring to the ground won't help me. The keel bed of my trailer is 13" off the ground and my stanchion measures 48" to the water. Adding 30" of draft brings us to a 91" total height, so theoretically, I've got a big fat 5" to spare.

But as we all know, in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Thanks!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I wonder if you could get some "extra" room by taking the wheels off the trailer and drop it onto some "piano dollies". You'd have to jack it back up in the spring but it would get the weight off your tires/bearings and I bet you'd get 5-6 inches of additional clearance.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
My garage door is 11'9". Chris, I bet you could squeeze the Capri 22 full fin into a 12' door, but it'd be close. I know the freeboard is slightly higher (1") and the cabin is slightly higher (2") than my 25... but I think 12' would be bare minimum.

As for the wing-22, I agree with others you'll probably need 9'. My old 7' garage door was too low for me to back the boat/trailer in.
My truck roofline in this picture is about 6'10" because it barely fit my 7' door. This picture should help give you an idea of how much taller the Capri 22 is... 8' in my estimation would be too close to call. Granted the mast upper is higher yet.