windspeed vs hullspeed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2005
Lancer 36 Mission Bay-San Diego
This may be a dumb question Is it possible to leverage the wind to attain a hullspeed(over water) greater than the windspeed?(within the the vessels hullspeed limit)

M

mike c

yes

hydrofoils , planing boats (Melges 24, Ultimate 20, etc.etc), ice boats.........quite often, when the conditions are right these boats can surpass the true wind speed. Ice boats regularly go faster than the wind. the apparant wind angle moves foward (almost to close hauled). I don't think it's possible for a displacement vessle (most keeled sailboats) to attain speeds faster than the wind unless you are using the iron genny (and that's only in light air)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Theoretical Hull Speed

Hull speed is just a theoretical value any way. Check you speed with a GPS and find you how you are doing. With the correct conditions on most boats you can/will exceed this value. Like Mike says, on some of these boats they plane and can/will do much faster than their theoritical value.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I think I'm doing pretty good if I can get ...

the boat speed to one half of the apparent wind speed, at least up to hull speed, on a reach or close hauled point of sail on our 30,000 pound displacement hull boat. Terry

Oct 25, 2005
Macgregor 22' Long Beach
hull speed vs. wind speed

Even on my 22' Venture, under the right conditions (swells, beam reach.) I have been able to reach speeds greater than wind speed, but only for short periods of time and usually greater than hull speeds. Novelman

Status
Not open for further replies.