Window Replacement

Jan 17, 2014
S2 11.0 Chicago-Belmont
I have a 1979 S2 11.0. We are looking to replace our windows this coming off season.
Looking for advice and resources in taking on this project, like materials, vendors,
any advice is welcomed, etc
Thanks,
Ed in Chicagp

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have a 1979 S2 11.0. We are looking to replace our windows this coming off season.
Looking for advice and resources in taking on this project, like materials, vendors,
any advice is welcomed, etc
Thanks,
Ed in Chicagp

there is a 13 page letter from s2 that tells about this i think its page 9 in that letter and from my experiance on my boat it has been very helpful to me

Jan 17, 2014
S2 11.0 Chicago-Belmont
there is a 13 page letter from s2 that tells about this i think its page 9 in that letter and from my experiance on my boat it has been very helpful to me
Woody I do appreciate the info - S2 still in Michigan?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Woody I do appreciate the info - S2 still in Michigan?
as far as i know they are but they are building some kind of marine buoys now

search for the letter and you will find it and it explains how to contact them

it is written in a comical and testy manner so read it with an open mind

Jan 17, 2014
S2 11.0 Chicago-Belmont
Thanks Woody!

as far as i know they are but they are building some kind of marine buoys now

search for the letter and you will find it and it explains how to contact them

it is written in a comical and testy manner so read it with an open mind
Appreciate the help...found them...still in Holland, Mi.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
They're not going to help u out if u call them. It's up to you or have it done. The "letter" explains how it was done new. If u try it, remove the outer bead and do a tracing of the current windows for size/shape. They are all somewhat different..a plastics retailer should be able to cut them..

Jan 17, 2014
S2 11.0 Chicago-Belmont
THanks for the Info

They're not going to help u out if u call them. It's up to you or have it done. The "letter" explains how it was done new. If u try it, remove the outer bead and do a tracing of the current windows for size/shape. They are all somewhat different..a plastics retailer should be able to cut them..
Appreciate the help. Ed G

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Key is you must sand the sealing edge or it won't. I looked at an S2 while nice new windows...laying all over the deck...

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I have been toying with the concept of a hybrid approach, using black butyl tape in the frame then caulking around it to trynto avoid the mess, but given that the originals lasted 30 years it is hard to question that longevity.

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
Look in this S2owners.com forum in;

Boat Information
Owner Modifications
S2 9.2A Window Installation

Several years ago I posted a write up on how I replaced the windows on my S2 9.2A with 3/8" Plexiglas, 1/8" neoprene glazing tape, bolts, neoprene lined washers and T-nuts. This first time, 6 years ago, I used 1/4 Plexiglas and the windows eventually cracked, never did leak. I don't agree that the original factory installation method is a good one. Too many years dealing with airplanes, I don't trust an adhesive only method of installation in this application (yes, I know the new airplanes are composite), I want bolts or screws for mechanical fastening. The write up has one photo for reference.

Jul 27, 2014
S2 8.5 Newport, RI
Letter from S2

I had a link to that letter, which no longer works.
Is anyone able/willing to post a working link or copy/paste?
Great info.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I had a link to that letter, which no longer works.
Is anyone able/willing to post a working link or copy/paste?
Great info.
i have it in my file but don't know how to get it to post on here and can't seem to copy and past for some reason ...sorry

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
Let me be perfectly clear:
There is no way in the world that I would use the factory method of installing windows/ports in any boat. The thought of trying to control that much runny, messy seal is a non starter. There are more modern and effective processes. These are our boats, not the manufacturers, we don't need to abide by any of their suggestions or methods. Use glazing tape with glue on both sides or butyl tape(best).

Look at this web site that Compass Marine puts out. There is a large article on the use of butyl tape. Also, lots of other artilcles from buffing to electrical installation.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Let me be perfectly clear: There is no way in the world that I would use the factory method of installing windows/ports in any boat. The thought of trying to control that much runny, messy seal is a non starter. There are more modern and effective processes. These are our boats, not the manufacturers, we don't need to abide by any of their suggestions or methods. Use glazing tape with glue on both sides or butyl tape(best). Look at this web site that Compass Marine puts out. There is a large article on the use of butyl tape. Also, lots of other artilcles from buffing to electrical installation. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

That is member Mainesail's site. Great stuff!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
As I said, I may try a combo of butyl tape, in black, to seal the window to to doghouse and then go to Dow 795. The only piece of data I would like is if the 795 and butyl will work together. I think I should do an experiment first to see.