window gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
After spending time on Catalina Direct's site trying to figure out which were the correct window gaskets for my boat (1994 Cat 30 MK II) I purchased what I thought were the correct gaskets for my leaky opening hatches. Of course it turned out that they were the wrong gaskets but by the time I realized this I had ripped out one of of the gaskets. Since it crumbled as I removed it I couldn't put it back in so I went to the local Home Depot to find something to tide me over while I tried to get the correct gaskets. There I found a "D" shaped EPDM rubber weatherseal, 5/16" wide with self stick backing that ended up being perfect. It is slightly wider that the opening in the window track so you have to squeeze it a little to get it in but that and the adhesive back makes for a secure installation. I removed the old gaskets, scraped out the residue with a screwdriver, cleaned the track with alcohol and pressed in the new gaskets. $8.00 did the whole job and the windows are now tight closing and leak free.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Yeah thanks, I was just about to post that my overhead Bowmar hatch has started to leak from these torrential rains that we've been getting from the hurricane, etc.
I don't know why Catalina even bothered to install such tiny hatches for. They don't provide any light & little venting, but they sure do leak good! I can't even hardly open my hatch beside the mast, because the rigging for the main sheet & boom vang totally block it from opening. Nice.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
jr- I noticed the same problem with the vang and was thinking of raising where it attaches to the mast (for hatch clearance) and running the line back to the cockpit to cleat so I don't have to go forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.