Windlass Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33 Toronto
After nearly being pitched overboard while using my manual anchor retrieval system (me) last summer, we have decided it's time for a Windlass. Has anybody had any experience with installing a windlass on a 2006 Hunter 33?

Keith & Jaon Willson
Hunter 33 #323 "PUFF"

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I think its easy although I haven't done it. I helped a friend to install Wireless Windlass RC for his 2007 H33. That didn't work out, maybe the RC is faulty. Anyway, there's already a flat spot in the anchor well for the windlass and by removing the V-berth wooden panel, you'll have complete access to the under-side of the well. You need to find the cable route from there to the Electrical Panel on starboard side. You should have no problem for that as Hunter probably had ready conduit or channel for that purpose.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The "manual retreival system" if used with proper technique should be OK.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If the manual system doesn't break your back it may give you hernia. ;)

Stitch

Jun 1, 2007
- - Racine, WI
How much help are you looking for?

The installation should be pretty easy, however I would seriously consider what if any advantages you are expecting prior to investing the time and money. The anchor locker on the H33 is too shallow according to the specifications required by the windlass manufacturer. That is regardless of witch windlass you choose. Because of the shallow anchor locker, and the slope up to the windlass, the anchor rode will ride right up into the bottom of the windlass and jam as you try to retrieve the rode. Be advised that you will be stopping the windlass every few feet of rode you recover to re-arrange the line in the anchor locker before you can continue. Here is a video of the factory installed windlass:

Hunter Factory H33 windlass operating

Aug 5, 2006
Hunter 33 brisbane
Not really a major issue

The installation should be pretty easy, however I would seriously consider what if any advantages you are expecting prior to investing the time and money. The anchor locker on the H33 is too shallow according to the specifications required by the windlass manufacturer. That is regardless of witch windlass you choose. Because of the shallow anchor locker, and the slope up to the windlass, the anchor rode will ride right up into the bottom of the windlass and jam as you try to retrieve the rode. Be advised that you will be stopping the windlass every few feet of rode you recover to re-arrange the line in the anchor locker before you can continue]

I know HunterBlows won't agree with me and although I agree that the H33 anchor locker is badly designed it really is not a problem giving the chain a bit of a hand when retreiving the anchor. It is certainly preferable to trying to drag up, in my case 70 m of chain, by hand in 25 knots plus. I had manual windlass on my previous RL34 and retrieving the anchor was the nearest I ever got to having a heart attack:eek:. I vowed never to buy a boat again without one. The trick on the H33 is to get down onto your knees press the button with your right hand and hold the winch handle provided, with your left hand and hook it under the chain every few metres and chuck the chain down into the bottom of the locker. When you have mastered the technique you don't even need to stop the windlass. Bit of a pain but the H33 has a number of compromises in order to maximise the space inside such a relatively small length vessell. It still is very good value for money and can mostly outsail its competitors.
PS You might find that the wiring for the windlass is already in place as standard. I asked this question when I was buying in 2004 and they said it was. I subsequently ordered the factory installed version so could not verify.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33 Toronto
Re: Not really a major issue

Thanks Nick. I had to do the same trick with the chain on a Beneteau 41 that we chartered in the BVIs. You are right, takes about 5 minutes to master the technique.

I will crawl under the tarp this weekend and take a look for the wiring or at least the conduit. That will make the installation a lot easier.

You are correct the 33 sails very well and surprises a lot of people on club around the cans races.

Status
Not open for further replies.