Windlass gypsy position…. Lewmar H2

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,
So over the winter I removed my windlass and brought it to a machine shop to have a couple ss screws removed from the aluminum housing so I could clean the cones as windlass would not let the chain free fall…… p/o never used that function and the cones corroded onto the gypsy. Anyway he got the screws out and took the gypsy off…… then gave it to me. All good so far. Soaked in vinegar and looks beautiful and ready to reinstall. However not sure which position the gypsy goes in. One have has a male sleeve that fits into the other. Lewmar did not give me a clear answer so kind of stuck. I see the grooves slant a certain way so I’m sure it makes a difference. Does anybody know? Anyone with a lewmar h2 that can give some input?? Picture?

thanks
Greg
3AC75496-8509-401E-A3A0-D20F14AAB318.jpeg35BD20BC-8BB6-472E-84B6-209905B2DEAC.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This may help, appears grooves point in the direction opposite of rotation up
Lewmar.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg.
The images of the two appear identical. Do the back sides of the haves give you any clue as to which side is on the outside?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks..... I have these diagrams, however when I zoomed in it did appear to have the teeth angling "in". Will go with that and worse case will switch not that I can dissemble easily!

Thanks!
Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Greg, I have an H2 and can check when I get to the boat on the weekend. I would assume as stated above the teeth angle towards the stern gripping the rope on the way up.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Greg, I have an H2 and can check when I get to the boat on the weekend. I would assume as stated above the teeth angle towards the stern gripping the rope on the way up.
That would be great!

Yea because the lower angled teeth are just for the rope.... chain is grabbed by the larger teeth that are straight to fit the links in regardless of going up or down.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg... Think of the windlass rope teeth like the winch teeth of a Self Tailer. The teeth are going to grab the line at the widest teeth point and draw the rope in to the closer teeth as the rope closes in on the center of the gypsy. This allows the gypgy to grab the rope and pull it up.

Since the rope comes over the top of the gypsy, they must meet the rope with the teeth wide sliding too narrow. That is also the way the teeth are positioned in the images provided.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I realized when I opened the cover on the windlass just now that I said I would check the teeth on the gypsy. Well, better late than never.
It's not easy to see in the photo but the rope teeth definitely angle back at the top.
20210626_152415.jpg