Windlass - Free-fall or Power-down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wanabe

Please advise which is better, a free-fall or a power-down horizontal windlass with a 22# plow anchor, 20 feet of chain and half-inch rode. I normally anchor in Florida 25 feet or less but may need deeper for the reef or the great lakes. The advantages I can think of are: FREE-FALL *Uses less power *Faster drop for spot or deeper anchoring POWER-DOWN *Less expensive price. *No clutch to go bad. *Maybe better at pulling a reluctant rode from the locker. *Less chance to drop chain on anchor and foul it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Power Down

IMHO. I have a free-fall and it is not easy to set the drag to regulate the drop. In fact, it's either go or no-go. I think there is a significant safety factor in a power down too. Namely, you can do it all in the cockpit with a remote. In fact, that's how I am going to modify mine by adding a down relay and cockpit remote. Also, from experience, it is easy to get the rode fouled on the anchor with a free-fall. The best solution would be one with a clutch for free fall, but rigged with up/down power. Just one opinion, but there are plenty on this subject. Rick D.

Status
Not open for further replies.