Windlass for Hunter 380

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Hunter 380 Daytona Beach, Fl
My recently purchased 1999 Hunter 380 did not come with a windlass, (although wired for one, I am told), and with a larger anchor the boat will need, and my age, I will require one. I am looking at putting a 45 lb ish Rocna or Mantus plus all chain rode. I believe the original recommended windlass no longer exists. I am sure someone is going through what I am, and rather than re-invent the wheel I thought I would ask what the recommended replacement unit is.

Thank you

Tom

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Tom, different model boat here, but our 1991 boat came with a Maxwell below deck horizontal windlass that has performed quite well over the years. It handles the 40 pound Danforth, 50 feet of chain and 20 pound kellet with ease except when the anchor has dug itself to China after a blow. then it requires some finessing to get it unstuck. Always works and very dependable after anchoring hundreds of times all over PNW waters in all kinds of sea states.

Perhaps a fellow H380 owner has more specific information to offer at some point, but I would think that Maxwell has a unit that would fit your boat quite nicely. In looking at some of the photos in the 380 gallery they appear to have a below deck windlass in the anchor well similar to our setup.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If your anchor locker is the same configuration as mine, the attached may be of help.

Your model boat did not come from the factory with either a power supply or control wiring for the anchor. If there is any wiring now, it was done by a PO at some time and should be examined carefully due to the high current loads of the winch.

You will obviously require a heavier winch than the V1 so do your homework carefully and not go with a "feeling" as some people do. The only thing worse than no winch is an undersized winch.

Attachments