Windlass for 309 (Lewmar)

May 27, 2015
Catalina 309 South River, Edgewater MD
Hi-
I've seen other postings for Maxwell but I have a 2006 309 hull 27 that came from Annapolis dealer with a Lewmar installed. I don't anchor a lot but I've had issues with the windlass not working well. First thing was a missing arm. I was able to order an arm and put that in. May be the original owners broke that.

But it's always jamming requiring you bring the special Lewmar wrench out to get it turning. Anyone else struggling? Anyone found a fix?

On this trip, the windlass motor is running and the inner bolt is spinning but the outer wheel around the drum is not.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may need to adjust the gypsey gap or you may have the incorrect rope and chain not sure what type you have its either vertical or horizontal ....i think there is a clutch in there that may be worn ..i am just giving you food for thought here so don't get discouraged if i am all wet ...hope this helps

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I recently installed a Lewmar V1 and it was a real learning experience with the gypsy and chain which the Lewmar manual did NOT cover.

If you're interested in solving this problem, please supply the following info and the collective body of regulars here will supply the solution:

- what is the model of the Lewmar winch

- what is the number of the gypsy. You'll need to download the Lewmar catalogue. It's too large to post her.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...k2XUBDlViACRBkKVuHKzYXw&bvm=bv.96952980,d.cGU

- what is the condition of the gypsy (teeth)

- what is the make and length of the chain you are using.

- what is the condition of the chain

- what is the free drop into the anchor locker.