Windlass / Bow Roller Arrangement on Caravelle

May 4, 2015
In the next 2 years or so, I am looking to install a windlass on Wind Song, thinking a Muir with a vertical capstan. I will need to move the fairleads off the stem, likely sink them in the toe rail, move the deck cleats too.

I am very curious to see your bow roller and windlass arrangement, so if a few people could share pictures that would be great! Anchors.... I am thinking of a Rocna, but interested in what others are using for cruising New England.

Thanks Lloyd

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
What timing. I just took a photo to send to the Maxwell rep. Bounding Home has an old Maxwell that I plan to change out this winter for a self tailing model. As it sits now, I need to tail the chain and rode and hand feed it through the hawse pipe, while stretching to reach the foot switch. This does wonders for my back! My plan is to have some form of chute and roller system fabricated to drop the chain further aft in the locker. The current hawse pipe is too far forward and the chain piles up.

As you can see, moving the windlass further aft would mean relocating both the cleats and the deck fitting for the removable forestay. Not going to happen!

The bow roller was fabricated by a local stainless shop. I carry a 45 lbs. CQR as the primary anchor with 50' of chain and 250' of rode. My secondary anchor is a 23 lbs. Fortress which I keep in the Stbd lazzarette along with 50' of chair and 250' of rode. I found a nifty, heavy duty tool bag at Home Depot that holds the chain nicely with strong handles. The rode is coiled with four Velcro straps. I lift the bag, followed by the coiled rode and bring it to the fore deck. Then I return for the anchor and shackle. I can have it over the side in less than 5 minutes.

Attachments