Windlass and autopilot advice

Dec 10, 2019
Hunter 356 Melbourne, FL
Hi All,

I have a 2003 Hunter 356 and I'm looking to install a windlass and an autopilot.
For the windlass I'm looking at the Lewmar V700 or VX1. I'm trying to find out what fits and what works.
For the autopilot I'm leaning toward the B&G NAC2 autopilot. Opinions?

I just installed a NMEA2000 and B&G Vulcan 9" chartplotter/MFD with Airmar water sensor and WS310 wind sensor.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Time to do some serious homework before laying down any money.

I can't speak to the VX1 as I'm too lazy to look up the specs but the V700 is definitely undersized for your boat:

Windlass.JPG

And that's only step one of the preliminary guesstimate. The next step is to calculate the weight of your tackle and using a factor of safety of 4, see if the working load of that windlass is sufficient. If not, increase the size until it does work. An undersized windlass is worse than no windlass at all.

Given the cost and work involved in the installation of one of these things, download a Lewmar windlass manual and study the specs of your selection "intimately" before doing anything.

If you can post a few shots showing several angles of your anchor locker, we can go from there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My boat is 35 feet. It has bit more displacement, but otherwise we have similar boats when talking about anchors and windlass designs.

Last year I selected and installed the Lewmar Vx3. Install was very easy. It does a quick job of raising or lowering my 35lb Mantus anchor and 105 feet of 3/8 in chain.

Looking at Practical Sailors report on windlass comparisons, I found the Lewmar fit my situation best.

Good luck

Dec 10, 2019
Hunter 356 Melbourne, FL
Thanks for the responses guys! And thanks for including the Lewmar chart Ralph. I've actually studied it and the documents on the Lewmar site. Since my boat is 35' 6" the V1 should work. I'm still trying to find out if it will properly fit in the anchor locker. Also how to mount an under-floor autopilot.

Thanks again!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
V1 is only slightly better than the v700 according to the chart. The bar on the chart is already starting to fade out, putting it out towards it's limits. A V2 would be a better choice, and probably not that much more cash.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
A V2 would be a better choice, and probably not that much more cash.
Getting closer .................... now read, read, and re-read the specs:

Spec.JPG

And then use the Windlass Selection Guide to include the factor of safety (page 3). And finally, the ultimate question ! ! ! ! ! ....................... will the V2 handle your rode and anchor ? ? ? ?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I was exploring the choice of windlass options, I kept seeing this advice.

Get a bigger (read more powerful) windlass than the minimum stated for your boat. You will never be unhappy if your windlass has the power to retrieve your anchor when you are battling the elements.
Even that suggestion carries with it the elements of compromise that always involve boats.
  1. How much is it?
  2. Can I afford it?
  3. Will it fit on my boat?

Dec 10, 2019
Hunter 356 Melbourne, FL
Thanks for all of the opinions and advice. My rode is 168' of rope and 40' of 5/16' chain with a typical Danforth...I think the V2 will handle it. But I still haven't heard about fit under the mounting platform in the anchor locker/forward of the V-berth wall panel. I guess I'll have to tear it apart and measure it.

I'm also still trying to find out about an under-floor autopilot, like which drive will fit/where to mount it. I'm looking at the B&G NAC-2 with the SD10 drive, but not sure how/where exactly to mount the drive unit.

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Thanks for all of the opinions and advice. My rode is 168' of rope and 40' of 5/16' chain with a typical Danforth...I think the V2 will handle it. But I still haven't heard about fit under the mounting platform in the anchor locker/forward of the V-berth wall panel. I guess I'll have to tear it apart and measure it.

I'm also still trying to find out about an under-floor autopilot, like which drive will fit/where to mount it. I'm looking at the B&G NAC-2 with the SD10 drive, but not sure how/where exactly to mount the drive unit.

Thanks!
I’m a little biased, but I’d go with a Raymarine pilot. Here are my reasons:
Raymarine has built more pilots than anyone else in the market, and knows this science well. The new evolution series is fantastic, and is very affordable.
Their drive units are very robust, and you can get spares anywhere.
As the communication to the plotter is N2K, there are no interface issues.
Now, I agree that B&G makes better plotters for racing.
Also, I think you’ll find that product support for the pilot is better on Raymarine. That’s just my personal experience .

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I’m a little biased, but I’d go with a Raymarine pilot. Here are my reasons:
Raymarine has built more pilots than anyone else in the market, and knows this science well. The new evolution series is fantastic, and is very affordable.
Their drive units are very robust, and you can get spares anywhere.
As the communication to the plotter is N2K, there are no interface issues.
Now, I agree that B&G makes better plotters for racing.
Also, I think you’ll find that product support for the pilot is better on Raymarine. That’s just my personal experience .
I have had a Raymarine autopilot for 16 years. Flawless.

Dec 10, 2019
Hunter 356 Melbourne, FL
Thanks artboas and Mikem for your opinions of Raymarine autopilots. I previously had a Raymarine chartplotter that had issues and subsequently needed to be replaced, and I didn't get the customer service I expected from Raymarine. So that turned me off of that brand, but based on your input I will give it another look.

Thanks again,
Frank

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Thanks artboas and Mikem for your opinions of Raymarine autopilots. I previously had a Raymarine chartplotter that had issues and subsequently needed to be replaced, and I didn't get the customer service I expected from Raymarine. So that turned me off of that brand, but based on your input I will give it another look.

Thanks again,
Frank
Wishing you success no matter what you choose. FYI, my 15 year old Raymarine C80 recently failed, the screen just blacked out. I replaced it with the Axiom 12. It interfaced perfectly with my current RM autopilot. The Axiom 12 is much more capable and much more intuitive than the C80. It is a touch screen model but since I have a full enclosure it is protected from the worst elements and I don’t worry about rain or snow on the screen.