Windlass 356

Patrik

Apr 1, 2008
Hunter 356 Stockholm
I about to install a windlass in the bow of my Hunter 356 this coming winter. I have looked on two different type windlasses and the difference is how the engine is mounted under deck, vertical or horisontal. After having dismounted the interior i have found that a vertical mounted engine can be difficult to fit in the space under deck. I would like to have feedback or experience from anyone in this matter.
Patrik Huldt

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the standard lewmar 356 windlass is a special low profile drum on a horizontal motor. I don't think there's room for a vertical motor under the deck over the vee berth. The special low profile drum was used so the top of the drum was flush with the locker cover. Since this unit apparently isn't made any more, you might have to be creative coming up with something that you can fit

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
the standard lewmar 356 windlass is a special low profile drum on a horizontal motor. I don't think there's room for a vertical motor under the deck over the vee berth. The special low profile drum was used so the top of the drum was flush with the locker cover. Since this unit apparently isn't made any more, you might have to be creative coming up with something that you can fit
I touched base with Lewmar a few years back about the windlass on my 2012 Hunter e33. I could not tell from the labels if it was a V2 or V3 and images from their website did help me. They responded very quickly. I was told that my windlass is a Lewmar V3 Modified specially made for Hunter. So I would try contacting them and see if they can help out.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Chuck Wayne is correct. I’ll post some photos for you of the original windlass. It’s a horizontal motor and is covered by the teak panel at the head of the vberth.
BFD18C04-FA76-44A2-BD6E-9636DA348CC0.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Bought my 356 and it had no windlass and it was one of the first jobs I did.

Went to the Boat Show in Annapolis and at that time Defender and Lewmar were both there and got the specs on what to order. It was a V2/3 with the Hunter gypsy drum that exited the chain correctly for the Hunter chain locker. The motor is mounted horizontal and must be correctly orientated to fit in the wood locker cover, as it can mount in multiple locations.

Triple check before you drill that 3 1/16" hole in the anchor locker, I got the drum and needed to also cut out hatch to fit. Also the cables will need to run from the battery bus.

Here is the line from my Defender order -
69600689 LEWM V2/3 F/FIT GD HUNTER OPEN

Jeff

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Would be very helpful if you could get a visual of the installation on a nearby 356. Note that the V2/3/4 windlass series are considered “vertical” windlasses even though the motor is mounted horizontally below deck; the gypsy & drum are mounted vertically above deck. When I installed my V2 windlass, Beneteau had actually scribed the drill centerline in the deck mold, for factory installed windlasses, that greatly simplified the positioning of the hole. Also, pay close attention when selecting cable size. When calculating the voltage drop you need to double the length of the distance from the battery buss to the fore peak to determine the correct cable diameter. On my 35’ boat, the combined cable run was approximately 55 feet; I used 2/0 AWG tinned cable (one black/one red) for corrosion resistance as well as cable flexibility, to make the cable instalIation easier. I made up my own cables using a hydraulic crimper and appropriate sized cable terminals & shrink film; however, I learned later from a Mainesail post that you get a much stronger terminal connection with less resistance/voltage drop, using a rotary type crimper($$$). I purchased the cables, terminals, & shrink film online from gregg’s marine wire supply. I found that Lewmar’s installation instructions were confusing and it took a considerable amount of time to figure out the wiring scheme.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
I replaced my windlass last winter with thé brand Quick dp3 1000w. I have 60 meters of 10mm ISO chain.
I had to modify the chain hole and added some stainless protection plates. I fitted New buttons at the same Time and even a remote control found on Amazon for 15€ (4x4 winch control)
When all the 60m of chain is out the security overload trips out. Cabling is correctly sized. Next Time a 1500w motor?

Attachments