wind up

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baz

I have a 1988 swing keel 235 ,has their been any problems,if so how was it overcome.

B

baz

I have a 1988 swing keel 235 ,has their been any problems,if so how was it overcome.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Swing Keel

Baz, I am not aware of any problems in particular and most of the issues with swing keels have to do with maintenance. As part of a regular maintainence program check all the bolts, nuts, and washers as well as the cable and winch, etc. Issues such as galvanic corrosion, rust, and general wear and tear are the main concerns. Charlie

C

Swing Keel

Baz, I am not aware of any problems in particular and most of the issues with swing keels have to do with maintenance. As part of a regular maintainence program check all the bolts, nuts, and washers as well as the cable and winch, etc. Issues such as galvanic corrosion, rust, and general wear and tear are the main concerns. Charlie

N

Neil

post at F235 owners forum?

Hi Bazz & Charlie, Haev a look at the new F235 Owners Forum. It is very active with lots of owners participating from all over Europe and North America. The forum is at www.beneteau235.com/forums and an F235 technical documents/photos companion page is at: www.beneteau235.com Finally, I'm creating an up to date data base of ALL F235s worldwide (for the interest of other F235 owners). Could you please email me directly so I could add your boats: Hull ID number boat name owners name (first & second) boat's usual sailing area. Many thanks, Neil F235 #252 "Traveller" I've used "AT" in my email address below instead of the usual symbol to prevent automated email harvesting nquigleyATcomcast.net

N

Neil

post at F235 owners forum?

Hi Bazz & Charlie, Haev a look at the new F235 Owners Forum. It is very active with lots of owners participating from all over Europe and North America. The forum is at www.beneteau235.com/forums and an F235 technical documents/photos companion page is at: www.beneteau235.com Finally, I'm creating an up to date data base of ALL F235s worldwide (for the interest of other F235 owners). Could you please email me directly so I could add your boats: Hull ID number boat name owners name (first & second) boat's usual sailing area. Many thanks, Neil F235 #252 "Traveller" I've used "AT" in my email address below instead of the usual symbol to prevent automated email harvesting nquigleyATcomcast.net

C

Great Site

Neil, that is a great site and is really informative. I think it is a good idea for all Beneteau owneers to take a look at it since there is a wealth of information on it. Thanks again Charlie

C

Great Site

Neil, that is a great site and is really informative. I think it is a good idea for all Beneteau owneers to take a look at it since there is a wealth of information on it. Thanks again Charlie

Jun 6, 2004
Beneteau 235 Wrightsville Beach, NC
Thanks for the site comment & Charlie's right

Charlie, thanks for the F235 site comment (and thanks for the mention, Neil). There is actually much to be added as well; the entire site started as a personal buyer's guide of info for me while looking at an F235 in Charleston, SC. Obviously, it got out of hand...heh. Indeed, there is a link to this forum and F235 space on the site on the links page. The dedicated F235 forum was a recent addition and it's really taken off with over 1500 posts and 66 members. Of course, I still peruse this place as well, as it has an exellent database with active membership. I agree with everything you said about the swing keel except to say most, if not all, were sold in Europe. As Charley noted, you must maintain the underwater parts especially, and if left in salt water, this becomes even more critical. Two things strike me as critical with the F235 swing keel. One is that it puts the already DEEP rudder more at risk if motoring with swing keel UP. This would not be as big a deal if it wasnt for the fact that the rudder DOES NOT kick up and the Beneteau F235 transom to hull joint is not as robust as it should be. Of course, the European F235 might be made slightly different than the ones made in SC, USA. See info on this on my site. The second problem is the fact that you DO have more parts to maintain and if something DOES let go while the keel is in the up position, there is a chance it will drop with its full weight to fully extended position. I dont know of the specifics of the F235 Swing but do know this has happened with Catalinas and other boats, sometimes actually causing the boat to be holed. Dont mean to alarm you but this is why PREVENTATIVE measures are the best here, keeping your swing keel parts in good shape. I will try to find some more info on the swing keel versions as several members do have these but have not posted as much. Another source is the beneteau-owners.com site which has some comments here in the library. Also, the First 210 has the swing keel so there will be info on this model. Kelly http://beneteau235.com/ F235 Forums http://beneteau235.com/forum/

Jun 6, 2004
Beneteau 235 Wrightsville Beach, NC
Thanks for the site comment

Charlie, thanks for the F235 site comment (and thanks for the mention, Neil). There is actually much to be added as well; the entire site started as a personal buyer's guide of info for me while looking at an F235 in Charleston, SC. Obviously, it got out of hand...heh. Indeed, there is a link to this forum and F235 space on the site on the links page. The dedicated F235 forum was a recent addition and it's really taken off with over 1500 posts and 66 members. Of course, I still peruse this place as well, as it has an exellent database with active membership. I agree with everything you said about the swing keel except to say most, if not all, were sold in Europe. As Charley noted, you must maintain the underwater parts especially, and if left in salt water, this becomes even more critical. Two things strike me as critical with the F235 swing keel. One is that it puts the already DEEP rudder more at risk if motoring with swing keel UP. This would not be as big a deal if it wasnt for the fact that the rudder DOES NOT kick up and the Beneteau F235 transom to hull joint is not as robust as it should be. Of course, the European F235 might be made slightly different than the ones made in SC, USA. See info on this on my site. The second problem is the fact that you DO have more parts to maintain and if something DOES let go while the keel is in the up position, there is a chance it will drop with its full weight to fully extended position. I dont know of the specifics of the F235 Swing but do know this has happened with Catalinas and other boats, sometimes actually causing the boat to be holed. Dont mean to alarm you but this is why PREVENTATIVE measures are the best here, keeping your swing keel parts in good shape. I will try to find some more info on the swing keel versions as several members do have these but have not posted as much. Another source is the beneteau-owners.com site which has some comments here in the library. Also, the First 210 has the swing keel so there will be info on this model. Kelly http://beneteau235.com/ F235 Forums http://beneteau235.com/forum/

N

Neil

F235 boat data needed

Charlie (and any other F235 owners from whom I have not yet cllected data about your boat's hull number, name, sailing location) , Please drop me an email at: nquigleyATcomcast.net (exchange AT for @) I'm creating a comprehensive database of the current locations, owners, and boat names of all F235s I can find (worldwide) and I'd like to get your boat included. Thanks, Neil

N

Neil

F235 boat data needed

Charlie (and any other F235 owners from whom I have not yet cllected data about your boat's hull number, name, sailing location) , Please drop me an email at: nquigleyATcomcast.net (exchange AT for @) I'm creating a comprehensive database of the current locations, owners, and boat names of all F235s I can find (worldwide) and I'd like to get your boat included. Thanks, Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.