WIND SPEED

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KEN

WHAT WIND SPEED (MPH) DOES A CAT 22 LIKE BEST ? I AM RESTORING A '73 FOR SPRING/SUMMER.. WE WILL BE SAILING ON A LARGE LAKE IN NORTH CAROLINA. I HAVE SAILED AS A GUEST ON LAREGER BOATS, 40'+, AND THE THRILL IS PUTTING THE RAIL IN THE WATER, BUT I KNOW MY WIFE AND HER FRIENDS WOULD THINK OTHER WISE... THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS HAPPY NEW YEAR KEN

T

Timm R

With our 1973 Catalina 22 with a swing keel the prefered wind speed was between 8 and 15 mph. This was on Lake Michigan.I really don't know that the where makes as much differance.I also believe your right that your missus wont enjoy the heeling.Besides you wont be going any faster.

M

Mike

10 degrees

I sail a catalina 22 and thy sail fastest when they are saield flat, I would say with about 10 degrees of heel. Anymore than that and its probably sailing inefficently. You can sail them in windy conditions just got to use a smaller headsail and or reef the main.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 22 Cape Cod
17.65 mph . . .

. . .Give or take a few. I found that 10 mph and less was a bit under powered. as the wind approaches 20 mph, REEF. Around 15 mph will provide enough speed, with minimal fear factor for the crew.

Lmo

Sep 7, 2005
- - Oceano, CA
Ken, Ken, Ken... .. .

I think you're missing the point here mate ... "THE THRILL IS PUTTING THE RAIL IN THE WATER, BUT I KNOW MY WIFE AND HER FRIENDS WOULD THINK OTHER WISE..." Think about it for a minute ... rail in the water, big grins ... and no wife ... rail out of the water ... wife AND HER FRIENDS Rail in the water = win,win. Bury it Cap'n!

Jun 16, 2005
- - long beach, CA
windy = no wife

Ken; I used to sail a C-22. Going upwind, about 12 knots is plenty. Downwind, a little more, about 14 or 15 knots provides the best speed without being overpowered. You have to decide what you like the best, rail-down, which is not that fun and is slow, or sailing heeled about 10-15 degrees, which is most efficient. The question is; do you want some at the end of the day, or not?

Dennis

Jun 4, 2004
Macgregor Venture 222 trailer
My wife claims!

that the boat always comes before her! Priorities you know!

R

Rodger

but it's so fun

I agree with you Ken I just love to put the port lights in the water even more so when the wife is below deck. sure its not as fast as it is at 15 degree heel but it sure is fun to put the boat over on the wife. I sail an old Mariner (1979) on clinton lake in IL . I was looking at new boats but started thinking how you have to be so carefull not to have sand on your feet and don't hit the beach so fast and on and on well we are keeping are old Mariner I just can't see giveing up the that fun. Rodger IL

Status
Not open for further replies.