Winchers? Poor man’s self tailing winches

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
These “add ons” to regular winches make them “kind of” self tailing. They cost about $100. I’m waiting on my self tailing Lewmar 40s from west marine but now wondering if I should just do the winchers. Any thoughts ? I have an 84 Catalina 27.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't waste your money if you expect them to be "self tailing". why? Because there's no stripper arm to peel off the line as you wind it in. Also, for even a foot or so of "self tailing" the drum must be fully wrapped so the underneath, ribbed part of the rings can grab the line. This is time consuming and requires two hands..... so what's the point? Nope... won't work otherwise.

However, if you want to use them as a cleat, or do minor tweaks, they can provide a benefit to halyard winches...but with your primary sheet winches.... no, no, no... not good..imho they actually slow down or inconvenience the operator. Save the $100 for other projects. There's no short cuts here. Enjoy your new ST winches... a very good investment.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I agree a waste of $100. I have a set for my Cat22. I took them off after trying them on a couple of outings.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As @Joe explains, winchers at best are tailing assistants. Without the stripper arm you need to tail and remove the line as it is winched in. The girl of the wincher is dependent on the plastic upper/lower pieces retaining their grip on the line. As they age this can become an issue.

Save your money and apply it to proper winches. You’ll be ahead and happier in the long run.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Without the stripper arm you need to tail and remove the line as it is winched in.
John,
Not in my experience. Had them for ten years on my Catalina 25. Saved enough $$$ to buy an autopilot in 1985! :) I sailed SF Bay with them, FWIW.
Save your money and apply it to proper winches
Definitely a cost effective substitute. Not exactly the same as STWs but 95% there in my experience.
The amount of misinformation and false disparagement I've read over the years is staggering. Much of it may, I say may, come from people who haven't used them. Example: don't use the slot at the top between the two discs for anything at all. Some people think you have to fit the tail of the sheet in there. RTFM...

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
The amount of misinformation and false disparagement I've read over the years is staggering. Much of it may, I say may, come from people who haven't used them.
I can understand your insight.
The boat I have came with non self tailing winches. Sailing solo and wanting to minimize my expenses, I examined the winchers as a solution. On the 22 Barient, I did a test. In light breezes I thought maybe. When the breeze stiffened I was dissatisfied. Sailing in 30 knot breezes on the Juan de Fuca I felt rewarded for deciding to take advantage of the BOGO deal for the pair of ST 45’s by Lewmar. My boat is different from the OP and my opinion is biased based on the experience.

We each must evaluate our needs and the budget we have to address our sailing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well, of course, Stu and I have made the same contrasting comments about this product many, many times over the years. He likes 'em, I don't. ( and I have certainly given them a fair trial....leaving them on my halyard winches for a year or two back in the old days.) The simply fact is they will not turn a standard winch into a self- tailing one... which is the promotional hook.... so I"m prone to re classify, or at the very least re define, what they are.... by removing the "self tailing" reference.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Well, of course, Stu and I have made the same contrasting comments about this product many, many times over the years.
That's true, and I'm so glad that we're still friends, can still discuss differences civilly, and are both still here!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Well, of course, Stu and I have made the same contrasting comments about this product many, many times over the years. He likes 'em, I don't. ( and I have certainly given them a fair trial....leaving them on my halyard winches for a year or two back in the old days.) The simply fact is they will not turn a standard winch into a self- tailing one... which is the promotional hook.... so I"m prone to re classify, or at the very least re define, what they are.... by removing the "self tailing" reference.
That's true, and I'm so glad that we're still friends, can still discuss differences civilly, and are both still here!
:):beer::beer:

• Ha

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Sharing magic beers. What a concept. Makes one feel all warm and fuzzy. I like it.