Winch sizes

Nov 4, 2019
Islander Mark II St. Helens OR
Hi, We need to do a service on all our winches on a 1988 Hunter Legend Sailboat 37.5 and do not know the sizes of the winches. How do we determine these? (There's no info on Sailboat data). The winches are Barlow's from Australia and I notice we have 2 different sizes. Thanks, Nicole

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Usually the winch size is on the top of the winch with the manufacturer's name. For the most part Lewmar pawls and springs will fit Barlow winches. Regardless of size two speed winches have the basic inner workings, just different sized gears and bearings. Same for one and three speed winches.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Dave is correct. The winch size is stamped on the cap next to the handle socket. To remove the drum you need a hex key for the bolt at the bottom of the socket. If you google: "Barlow winch information" or "Barlow/Barient winch size comparisons" (their system is not the same as other winch manufacturers} you will find lots and lots of information. Here's a parts list from the company took over servicing these winches after the companies dissolved decades ago. https://www.arco-winches.com/products/spares I have heard mixed reviews about Hutton-Arco. If it's just springs and pawls the Lewmar or even Harken stuff available at every chandlery will probaby fit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Back Nicole. How are you and Craig getting along. Still have the Islander two home program going?

Here are links to listing of Barient/Barlow winch profiles and parts breakdowns.

The Hutton Arco site the only "manufacturing" resource to get replacement parts for the winches.
Both Barient and Barlow have been out of business for decades. Residual parts inventories and much of the remaining tooling has been acquired by The Australian Yacht Winch Company, who still offer many parts for these Winches.​
From RigRite website Barient & Barlow Winches
RigRite sold a tool that can help you remove the top and gain access to the drum/base for service. That is if you need the tool to access the winch.​

I still have a couple of winches in my garage. I think a pair 22's & 23ST's. I would have to take a look. They have some corrosion damage on the drum top.

Nov 4, 2019
Huh Duh...can you tell this is my first boat:waycool:. I looked and low and behold discovered my winch sizes 23 and 25;). Thanks for such prompt replies and the great info. I'll get to work and see about ordering maintenance kits. I have never done a winch service but people say it's not that difficult. In terms of the Islander, we sold it over 2 years ago (whew...never again owning 2 boats!). We now have the Hunter up for sale :wahwah: and are planning to be land dwellers again. We getting up in age and our bodies are falling apart so we decided to go back to the RV life. Keep them heeling...Nicole

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Put a box around the winch
I use that style, The cardboard is cut out facing into the cockpit. I also drape an old sheet In the box, over and around the winch to reduce the leaping ability of the winch parts.

Nov 4, 2019
Wow...great information. I do remember a boat owner next to us mentioning "flying" winch parts. I did contact Hutton-Arco who gave me a quick reply. I was told to try cleaning the winches first and if I then needed parts to contact them with pics. They mentioned a tool they called an "accessory handle" or a handle with a hole in it. Not sure what one is! Any ideas? I'll keep investigating;)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They mentioned a tool they called an "accessory handle" or a handle with a hole in it. Not sure what one is! Any ideas? I'll keep investigating;)
Probably a small plastic winch handle shaped device with a hole in the middle of the socket. The handle lets you keep the winch from turning while you loosen and tighten the screw in the middle of the hub. If you don’t have one you can try just holding the winch in place when loosening the screw, or maybe holding it with a rubber oil filter style wrench.

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks again for all the advice...will give things a try and see what is needed from there:waycool:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The guy on a M/V next to us used his 3D printer to make a stripper ring on a self tailing winch for a young sailor. It printed an exact copy of the broken ring and has held up well. He has printed parts for several different boats in our marina.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably a small plastic winch handle shaped device with a hole in the middle of the socket. The handle lets you keep the winch from turning while you loosen and tighten the screw in the middle of the hub. If you don’t have one you can try just holding the winch in place when loosening the screw, or maybe holding it with a rubber oil filter style wrench.
My Barlows ST winches have 2 holes in the cap that hold the winch together…my “tool” for removing the cap is a small piece of wood stock (like 4” of 1x2), and two screws drilled through the wood at a distance equal to the space between the 2 holes. Stick the screw tips into the holes and twist the cap off.

Greg

Jul 30, 2023
San Juan SJ24 Palm Beach
Greg
[/QUOTE]

DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO GET THIS PART?

Attachments