Winch servicing

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ex-admin

It's time I did some service on my winches and would like some tips on doing this. I've been procrastinating for too long. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

B

Ben Givens

Winch Works

Hi John, Ocean Winches dating from 1995 or newer are super easy and require no tools to take apart and service. Service manuals are available at www.lewmar.com in .pdf format. Hard copies are available by request. I recommend buying the Lewmar Winch Service package from your local distributer. It will include spare pawls, springs, some light gear grease, pawl spring oil, and a nifty brush for applying it all. The part number is 19701500. It should service 2-3 winches. Make sure to remove all grease built up in the pawl springs and pockets. The grease build up can cause the springs to stick. Also make sure the pawls are seated correctly in the pawl pocket. The kit will include extra pawls to replace those that may have worn.

A

Ace

Lewmar Winch servicing

Ben; Thanks for being on SailboatOwners.com . I have Lewmar winches on my 1978 Santana 20. Last year I ordered the replacement kit and downloaded the appropriate service manual. I had no problems following the instructions - putting them back together required some patience and steady hands but I managed to get both of them back with reasonable effort. We've had no problems since then with either winch (use them for regional and club racing). Thanks to you for your info/interest and Lewmar for building a good product that can be serviced by the average sailor. Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.