Wigeon shear pin?

Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
Does anyone use the aluminum shear pin for the rudder? If so what do you use and how well does it work?
The lakes that are local to me tend to have submerged logs and rocks. It's hard to strike the right balance of tightening the rudder plate wingnut enough so the rudder doesn't swing aft in weeds, but still falls back down after a strike. My alternative is to go with a bungee arrangement, but that ends up with a bunch of junk in the water to avoid an over center lock in the up position.
I'm also looking for a breakaway cleat solution for the centerboard. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I never used a shear pin to hold the rudder blade down on my WIDGEON, I did notice the hole in the blade and the fiberglass upper part, but never had a pin to insert. I might have tried a toothpick or other easily broken pin if I had used a pin to hold the rudder blade down. I just kept the pivot bolt tight and would push the blade back down after any shallow water sailing.

I think DUCKWORKS Boats has a sort-of break-away cleat for kick-up rudders that some owners have used to hold the CB down on their Day Sailer IIs. It has an adjustable release force.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I think DUCKWORKS Boats has a sort-of break-away cleat for kick-up rudders that some owners have used to hold the CB down on their Day Sailer IIs. It has an adjustable release force.
Yah. Google "auto-releasing clam cleat". They're great.