Width of wing on wing keel

cokomo

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 28.5 wichita
I recently purchased a 1987 Hunter Legend 35 with wing keel. The boat is in the water and not accessible. Does anyone know the width of the wing tip to tip? My transporter needs to know which trailer to use.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The guys who own SBO are former Hunter employees. I'm betting you could give them a call.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Good question. Can you interpret the measurement from the photo set the surveyor provided you from the haul-out survey??

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
"Wing-on-wing" is a method of trimming your sails. It has nothing to do with your keel.

cokomo

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 28.5 wichita
Thank you all. Not sure how I would contact a Hunter employee. Marlow Hunter does not support boats this old and gave me this site to contact all of you. Survey was done with boat in water, wont be able to measure until its too late. Yes english is funny that way. Most of you got the jist of it.

cokomo

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 28.5 wichita
Thank you, I reached out to the owners. Hopefully, someone will know the answer.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I recently purchased a 1987 Hunter Legend 35 with wing keel. The boat is in the water and not accessible. Does anyone know the width of the wing tip to tip? My transporter needs to know which trailer to use.
A friend with a Hunter Legend 37.5 says his bulb is 72 inches fore - aft, and the wing is 36 inches tip to tip. Should be good enough numbers for your trucker.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
The OP is looking for the widest dimension of the wing at the aft of the bulb. We have the same issue as the aft of the wing doesn’t fit down between the beams of the trailer so it sits higher on the trailer.
When we launch and haul in the Spring and Fall, we need a higher than normal tide so we can float off and on the trailer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer owning hydraulic and fixed welded supports trailers, a lot depends which trailer to use if launching and retrieving without the use of a travel lift.

Fixed support beam trailers either have bunk boards generally found on trailerable boats that sometimes include side supports with bunk boards or with screw jack pads. Most of these boats have swing, shoal draft or a fixed fin keels. However, some boats for example the Catalina 22/25 wing keels and Hunter 23/270/27 wing keels all have trailers designed around wing keels which can be trailer launched by tow vehicles. There are larger trailers too for carrying heavier and bigger boats of this style too. However, the length, width, depth of water at the end ramp, wind speed and tidal current all play into the mix during launching/retrieval operations. This incudes trailers designed for the wing keels too. With my larger boats, I launched with heavy duty trailers at Kerr Lake that had a very long ramp that could. accomodate launching of boats up to 45 feet; however, I restricted myself to launch up to 33 foot wing keel boats due to width of the wings plus gross weight. Anything over 26,000 pounds requires all vehicles to be treated as commercial with the driver having a commercial driver’s license or CDL. Due to the construction of a hydraulic trailer being much heavier, I was restricted which sailboat I could haul keeping the gross weight under 26,000 pounds.

As stated, hydraulic trailers are much heavier but the side supports are hydraulically raised or lowered. When lowered, there is no issue of how wide the wing keels are but the above issues still could come into play.. With the fixed support trailers required me to have a very long extension dolly that had to be manually guided into the water and once stopped the rear supported screw jacks had to lowered even if the water was icy and cold which was part of my duties.

The poster has a very good question and
@Art12050 recognized the issue

I hated the icy water as it was Cold and only Crazy Dave was crazy enough to do it.
I even have launched sailboats over embankments and bridges; however, that is not suggested as only a few of us ŵere experienced requiring the utmost safety in the industry

Last edited: