Widgeon questions

Sep 27, 2014
Oday Widgeon West Hill Lake
Hello, I am a new Widgeon owner. I bought a boat in reasonable condition, but I note that the hole where the mast is stepped has had repair with Marinetex or something. I know that that spot is a frequent weak spot. What would you folks suggest I do to update/repair that part of the boat? Also, I believe there was wooden seating to my model, and I would like to replace that but don't know where to begin with that project. Lastly, for now, the boat has two front hatches and a "cooler" hatch that have covers of wood. I could just sand and paint them, but I wonder if there is a source for nice-looking new wood ones. Thanks!:)

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 wing Westbrook CT
I purchased a new one in 1973 . I would use fiberglass to fix the mast step. For the hatches, marine grade plywood painted or stained and sealed would work.

Sep 27, 2014
Oday Widgeon West Hill Lake
Thanks-do I kind of dig out the Marintex (or whatever it is) and glass over it? How do I keep the mast step opening the proper size? This is probably a dumb question, but, being a bit thick I am forced to ask it!

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 wing Westbrook CT
I would dig out the old stuff to get down to the fiberglass . You will just have to judge the opening to match the size of the mast .

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
If your WIDGEON has 2 hatches to access the compartmenrt under the forward deck and a cooler located in hte port-side cockpit seat that would date her as a 1971or 1972 model with molded-in fiberglass seats. The wood seats were on the 1963-70 models. The hatch cover over the cooler was originally molded fiberglass so the wood cover is a replacement. D&R Marine (www.drmarine.com) may have that original fiberglass cover (it isn't listed on the website, but worth giving Rudy a call (508) 644-3001 to check. It won't be cheap, but it will match hte original. After 1972 it was only included on the DS II and Javelin.
To get the mast partner hole the correct size/shape, it might help to make a mold for the repair. Wrap waxed paper around the mast (you you may need to wrap several layers to make the hole slightly bigger than hte mast) then step the mast and rebuild the area around the hole. Better idea might be to shape a block of wood to fit around hte mast and them bolt/glass that in to the seat. The area around hte mast was built up a bit for strength originally (at least on my 1969 model).

Attachments

Oct 15, 2006
MacGregor 26X Central Florida
First, let me say I do not have a Widgeon. I have the smaller Sprite, but I did just finish some repairs to the laminate on my interior bottom. I also fixed a crack somewhat like yours where my athwartship seat amidships attaches to the centerboard trunk. I used epoxy and fiberglass cloth to reconstruct the joint. I have also used starboard marine "lumber" to replace fiberglass seating in the stern of my boat that became problematic. In addition, I used starboard as the transom support that was originally marine plywood. There are issues with starboard and sealants, but it does bolt on very well. I was picturing a fiberglass/epoxy repair to your mast opening with a circular starboard brace underneath bolted through the deck. Again, not familiar with the Widgeon, but very familiar with flawed fiberglass! I will encourage you to explore options and experiment with new skills and knowledge. I was very hesitant, but I learned to use the folks on the forum and the telephone numbers on products to get good expert advice. West System folks were outstanding, as were the folks at Interlux and Pettit.:)

Attachments