Widgeon leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2011
Oday Widgeon haskell
Took the 1970s vintage Widgeon out on the lake last weekend. On the water for 6 hours. what a bee you ti full day. all of my experience has been sailing off shore, so there is always a dependable wind, on shore or off shore depending on the time of day. Little lake sailing is different. near shore sailing was difficult, wind hard to find and squirrly. hundred yards off shore the wind was predictable and something i was used to. In the dead center of the lake the wind is nowhere to be found and we actually just spun around doing 360s until I paddled out of this "vortex" Any comments about lake sailing. Granted it was 106F that day. SPF50, still burned my nose.

Final question, the widgeon took on a lot of water maybe 50 gallons in the bilge. No real obvious hull holes, is the leak in the CB trunk? Where do I start looking??

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
"Any comments about lake sailing "

Aint it great. Keeps you on your toes. Love those days when the wind is lulling and then gusting hard coming from completely different directions. Have sailed a lake near us many times all day, up and back and all around without ever having a downwind run. Have fun and good luck with the leaks.

jimmyb

Aug 7, 2010
Catalina 22 Stockton Lake, Missouri
About all I can tell you about little lake sailing is that it is challanging. The little lake I sail, and I mean little, 100 acres, the wind changes about every 100 yards, is frequently blocked by terrain and as jimmy said almost dead calm one second and trying to knock you down the next. For me, it's a lot closer and cheaper than my big boat. I can have my Widgeon sailing in less than an hour and it's 3 hours to my Cat 22.

That's a pretty good sized leak.....I'm sorry I can't offer anything more than what you suggested about checking the CB trunk. Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.