Widgeon Hatch Covers, Attachment

KMurph

Jun 22, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Bde Maka Ska, MPLS, MN
Hi,
I am wanting to make covers for the hatch openings on my '76 Widgeon. But I am not sure how best to attach them. There is no way for them to open out at they will hit the mast. I could have them swing in but that would make them difficult to secure closed. Dose anyone know how the optional ones were attached? If you have attached your own, how did you do so?
Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

A photo of your hatch and a little more description of what kind of cover, e.g., sunbrella, you want to make would be helpful. If it is sunbrella cover they are generally attached with a sewn-in bungee cord that stretches around the base of the hatch. You can also contact Ruddy at DR Marine who specializes in O'Day Widgeon parts.

Jwudgy

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Widgeon Medford, Wisconsin
I have a '74 Widgeon (original owner) so not sure if the hatch covers are the same with your '76. I'm somewhat confused by your reference of "opening out" etc. I know the original hatch covers on my Widgeon really looked nice but didn't work well in terms of staying in place as it was basically a bungee cord. I built new ones and used stainless steel brackets to hold them. The inside of the hatch cover has two old spring loaded window latches (rusty) to keep it in place at the top. I've attached some pictures for reference. Sorry for the snow. A little too early to get the Widgeon in the lake up here in northern Wisconsin (15" of ice, y'know).IMG_1238.JPGIMG_1239.JPGIMG_1241.jpgIMG_1242.jpgIMG_1243.jpg

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The originals were made of Teak Plywood with a routed-out "flange" around the perimeter, so they set into the openings.
They were originally "secured" by a loop of bungee cord attached to the inside and leading forward to an eye near the bow. Here are a few more pictures that I've found on-line, including one where hte owner made new hatches out of acrylic or plastic and added thumb-screws. Unfortunately, none of my pictures seem to show that bungee cord? You might get an answer from Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine (508) 644-3001, he used to work in the Parts Dept. at O'DAy and now runs a little shop selling replacement parts for our O'DAYs. I am hopping to go pay him a visit next Saturday morning to get some parts for my Day Sailer II, If I think of it, I'll ask him about how those hatches were held in place. I created an Expanded version of the Widgeon Owners Manual, and Rudy was a big help in providing some old diagrams for me. I used to have a 1970 Widgeon, one of the older ones without this forward deck, but have become very familiar with the later boats.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Welcome to the forum!!

A photo of your hatch and a little more description of what kind of cover, e.g., sunbrella, you want to make would be helpful. If it is sunbrella cover they are generally attached with a sewn-in bungee cord that stretches around the base of the hatch. You can also contact Ruddy at DR Marine who specializes in O'Day Widgeon parts.

There is nothing for a canvas cover to hook over, no "rim" just a smooth, raw fiberglass hole. Otherwise, great idea! Original DS II models (1971-73) had a vinyl-coated canvas cover for the cuddy opening, it was held on with snaps to the aft bulkhead of the cuddy, that "might" work for the Widgeon, but far from ideal, Later (1974-85) DS IIs used plywood panels that hooked over the lip of the opening, mine is that way. There is a metal tab at the top of the opening that slips through a slot in the pane to lock on. Maybe, a pair of single piece (one per opening) versions could be made for the Widgeon.

Attachments

Last edited: