Widgeon drain plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2011
oday widgeon Sandwich
Just bought a used widgeon - the model with the molded seats. There are 2 drain plugs, one in the transom just above the water line and one in the coclkpit on the forward bulkhead just above the floor. Does anyone know what section(s) each of the drains services.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The transom one is (I assume?) used to help drain water out of the cockpit after righting the boat after capsize (boat is not self-bailing so this won't drain all water though) maybe after beaching the boat to bail? I'm basing this on how my 1979 DS II is set up, since my old Widgeon was a 1969 and had the wooden seats.
The one on the forward bulkhead must have been added by a previous owner to drain water out of the forward section of the boat (stowage area under foredeck) I assume your boat is a 1971-82 model that has a forward deck? If newer, and she has an area in the bow level with the side seats, then the plug is to drain the forward locker/cooler.

There should be one more drainplug in the outside of the transom to drain the inside of the boat (bilge between deck and hull).

Apr 14, 2011
oday widgeon Sandwich
The transom drain is on the outside of the transom just above the water line. There is a cockpit drain that can be used when the boat is out of the water. The Widgeon I have has no forward storage locker. There is no access under the foredeck. The drain for this section does look like it might have been an aftermarket installation. I appear to have a leak around where the floor and centerboard trunk meet. Anyone have this problem too?

Bruce

Sep 27, 2008
Newport Holiday Ray, MI
Widgeon: Leak where the floor and centerboard trunk meet

Hi, Is this a leak into the cockpit or the inner hull? If it's the cockpit it's probably coming from the centerboard bolt gasket. If the gasket isn't too bad place a little silicone around the bolt hole before installing the centerboard bolt. If the water is going into the hull, the seam between the inner and outer hull join together right where the centerboard bolt goes through the trunk. Eventually the edge of the seam wears around the bolt hole after 30+ years of use and causes a slow but steady leak into the hull. I removed the centerboard and spread a little epoxy around the inside of the bolt hole where the seam is and voila!, no leak! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.