Widgeon centerboard sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2006
NULL NULL Massachusetts
I have a '79 Widgeon. The boat is in great condition. The only problem I have is that the centerboard sticks badly. It is the centerboard lowered/raised with ropes, rather than the handle used on earlier models. I usually have to wade out to waist deep water, almost capsize the boat, pull the centerboard down, right the boat, and then sail. Has anyone ever removed the centerboard from a Widgeon? Is it hard to remove and reinstall with the ropes? I've asked Rudy Nickerson, and he stated that the centerboards often swell over time, and that removing it, sanding it, refinishing, and reinstalling might work. Alternatively, I could purchase a new centerboard from Rudy. I've also read of other Widgeon owners who have simply drilled a hole in the top of the centerboard trunk and used a dowel to "unstick" the CB when they set sail. Any thoughts or advice on trying to repair/replace the CB, or simply to use the dowel method, would be appreciated. TIA! Mark Schneider

Jun 3, 2004
Oday Widgeon Ipswich, MA
I'm sorry no one has an answer for you yet, Mark. I've never done this but I will have to do so soon for my '76 as the ropes are failing. I've already obtained the replacements from Rudy. I actually have the opposite problem: the centerboard was too loose. The previous owners installed spacers to keep the board from banging around in the trunk. So, I'm guessing it must not have been too difficult a job. My only suggestion is to first investigate and determine that the board is sticking and not that there is debris caught up in there. I would sometimes get mud and weeds from sailing in the salt marsh.

Aug 8, 2006
NULL NULL Massachusetts
Thanks, Widgeon

Thanks, Widgeon. I don't think I have anything stuck in the CB trunk, but I'll check. It's been that way since I bought the boat ~2 years ago. It only sticks in the full up position. Once I get it down, it's fine (i.e. getting it up again is not an issue). The ropes are definitely showing their age, but seem to be OK. No fraying or wear, just getting grey with age. Mark Schneider

Aug 8, 2006
NULL NULL Massachusetts
Thanks!

Joe, thanks for the suggestion on removing the boat from the trailer. I have been hesitant to take the boat off of it, but I think I may end up doing it, if for no other reason than I really need to find out what is going on. One of the nice aspects to the Widgeon is that the hull only weighs about 350 lbs, so four adults can pretty much lift it off the trailer, and put it back on. Sunbird, that looks like a pretty straightforward fix, if it is indeed the problem. When I spoke to Rudy last year about the problem, he told me that ver often the fiberglass absorbs water, crazes, and that this may be causing the board to stick. Not really delamination of the fiberglass, but a swelling. Given the height of the CB trunk, how do you get the ropes back through the holes in the forward end of the trunk? What has held me back from removing the CB is the fear that I won't be able to get it (and the ropes) back into the places they belong. I think it would probably a wise move to pick up new ropes, bushings, and bolt from DR, before I attempt a fix. Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer advice. I sincerely appreciate it. All opinions and advice are gratefully received! Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.