Widgeon - another replacement question - buoyancy foam replacement

tdol87

May 9, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Driveway
1964 Widgeon has buoyancy foam running along the top of port and starboard sides, under the fiberglass. The foam pieces are falling out from their place under the edge. I need to replace those as the ones falling out look a bit damaged/cut from being pushed back up into the cavity. I have been told to try pool noodles. Any guidance for what to replace the buoyancy with and where to source?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I had my Montgomery 15, peaking beneath the sealed fiberglass benches, the voids were filled with white styrofoam. Lots of buoyancy. I suspect there are newer versions of this old product. What I disliked about it was the way it crumbled and the little bits got every where. I eventually wrapped it in plastic to keep it in one place. Worked while I had the boat.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
1964 Widgeon has buoyancy foam running along the top of port and starboard sides, under the fiberglass. The foam pieces are falling out from their place under the edge. I need to replace those as the ones falling out look a bit damaged/cut from being pushed back up into the cavity. I have been told to try pool noodles. Any guidance for what to replace the buoyancy with and where to source?
I assume the foam is to keep the boat high enough out of the water to bail it out effectively.
The white foam that @jssailem mentions is inexpensive but comes with some flaws, tends to shed and has some air pockets in it that can eventually reduce flotation if submerged for a long time.

You could use other types of foam such as rigid house insulation or you could use an expanding type foam (might have to flip the boat on its side or upside down for expanding type - might get messy as well)

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That foam under the gunwales is to keep the boat level if swamped to ease bailing and recovery from a capsize. On my old 1969 Model is was luckily, still intact and in place, just tended to shed dried up mud after she partly swamped during Hurricane Bob in 1991, unstepped mast and put extra line on mooring, she rode it out fine in our semi-sheltered cove. Anyway, you could shove some styrofoam blocks up in there, but It will be messy and slow work. Not cheap, but pour-in place flotation foam might be best fix, still messy and you will need to turn boat upside down for best results. Maybe better to use the pool noodles and glue it in with the canned expanding foam. Be sure to leave space for access to deck fittings so you will not need to dig out foam if you ever need to change a cleat or fairlead later.

tdol87

May 9, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Driveway
Sunbird, Hunter216 and jssailem - than you all for your replies. The foam that was under the gunwales popped out during a turtling when the wind turned and picked up suddenly on a lake. It is most likely the original white foam as there is clearly marks from old glue. The old foam is not in bad shape, but I think I will take the opportunity to replace with new in one of the methods you suggest.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Best of luck. Flotation in a boat is an important element. Makes it easier to recover should a heel become a swamping.

Take some pictures and share them. Who knows you might be able to help another boater in the future.

tdol87

May 9, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Driveway
Decided on going with the pool noodles - ~3" diameter along the port and starboard sides up past the mast bench and ~2.25" to the bow. Secured with spray foam insulation. The original styrofoam was cracked and had old dried glue thus the reason they were falling out - during trailering and sailing. Thanks all for your advice and help. jssailem - I will post pictures as you suggest.