Why oh why!

Jan 14, 2015
steel sloop one of a kind nanaimo
I have a Yanmar 3GMY diesel in my boat Unknown Gypsy, that starts and idles
fine but when put into gear dies. Any help appreciated.

Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
have you checked the fuel system? start with filters and move up from there...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check to make sure the shaft is turning freely while in neutral to eliminate the possibility of a frozen bearing or something wrapped around the prop. Then place the engine in gear and operate the starter to check if it turns. If the shaft turns freely and the engine does not turn or turns slowly in gear then the problem is in the transmission. One last thing at what RPM is your engine idling? It should be from 750 to 850 RPM. How well does the engine run when RPM are increased in neutral? Does it sputter and die or does it run well? If it sputters and dies then you have a fuel delivery problem filters, fuel pump or governor timing. Most problems with diesel engines cutting out are fuel related; before trying anything else go ahead and replace the filters and bleed any air out of the lines. These steps should help you to zero in on the cause of the problem. Good luck.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Also check the 'visual condition' of the fresh water cooling circuit (heat exchanger) ... if 'blackish' could indicate a blown head gasket. Many times a blown head gasket will 'show' and produce similar symptoms .... idles OK, but engine stalls when 'load' is applied.

Jan 6, 2010
Gypsy,

If what all the guys suggested are not the problem, the only thing I can add is to make sure you are FULLY in gear. Cables can stretch.

If not sure, manually shift the linkage bar on the side of the tranny to ensure you are fully engaged.

CR