Why is my stern quacking?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Sorry, no pics of girls on sugar scoops in this post! I would always chuckle at the pretty boats with sugar scoops that had ducks squatting and pooping on their sugar scoops. Well, my new C30 MK3 has a small sugar scoop and I know what's coming. Fake owls seem to help but not eliminate the issue. I was thinking about making some canvas or netting but am hesitant to put 20 holes for snaps in a pretty boat. Here's a pic of the same model

1727036576540.png

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
In my experience, duck can fly and ducks can jump on from the dock. IME, with two boats with scoops, the scoop was not the problem.

An eagle eat my wind indicator two weeks ago. I really don't think an owl would bother him. He would look at a snake as food.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 has a similar, small swim platform…and the only thing that messes back there are the dang spiders!

IMG_3560.jpeg

Greg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
PM.. Looks like you are writing the headlines for ClickBait.
Perhaps the best way to keep your new boat pristine is to get a tall garage to park it in.

It's a bit of a comedy in our marina during mating season. No matter how you try to keep the ducks away from your boat, they'll find a way. It's like a game of tag, and at least one of the four or so birds will be the winner.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The ducks often sit on people's sugar scoops. I'd say I see them every other time I'm there. The canvas on motorboats and swim platforms get hit hard around here. Some guy on a 35ish motorboat bought a fancy, $1000, inflatable, floating raft for his kids. Two days later it was completely covered in bird poop. It must've gotten hit 100 times.

The spiders were really bad this year! I wish there was a way to use Spider Away on non porous surfaces!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
You could try using water filled buckets or gallon jugs to cover the scoop as much as possible to make it less comfortable for the ducks.

Around here sea lions are the problem (much bigger messes than ducks) and many boats with swim steps use five gallon buckets to keep them off.