Why different charge voltages?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
i'm trying to understand why do different brands of lead acid batteries require/ or suggest a different charge and float voltage? why cant we charge every lead acid battery at 14.5 volts and float them at 13.5? If we do but the manufacturer suggest a higher, or lower voltage...what is the consequence?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Because each brand is manufactured slightly differently. Not all plates use the same composition, not all plates are the same thickness, each AGM has a slightly different vent pressure, each GEL has a slightly different vent pressure, not all batteries use the same % of acid and other additives in the electrolyte, some batteries are deep-cycle, some are starting and some are dual purpose. For example, the Firefly AGM is really not a true "AGM" and the electrolyte is really a hybrid between GEL and AGM. This is why it cannot be charged in excess of 14.4V. Some manufacturers give an acceptable voltage range. For marine use follow the manufacturers voltage guidance. This is why buying a charger that can be custom programmed and that has on battery temp compensation is so important.

Over the years many manufacturers have woken up and realized that 14.4V (where most of the FLA industry used to be) was murdering batteries used in a PSoC application (Sandia National Labs discovered this in the late 90's).. Many have now upped the absorption target to 14.7V +. Trojan is pretty precise at 14.82V and Rolls was a stalwart hold out until just a couple of years ago. Rolls too now advise 14.7V ++ for a PSoC application.

You can always charge your batteries how you wish, it's your money, but you won't be getting your money's worth out of the bank if it suggests 14.8V and you're charging them at 14.5V.... If the bank suggests 14.4V and they are VRLA batteries you can prematurely dry them out by continually over-charging them.

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thanks Mainesail. I appreciate the elaboration. Sometimes google just turns up pages and pages of people saying the same thing but not the answer im trying to get. How did you learn all this college?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It seems like progress disrupts the simplicity of years gone by. 50 years ago all batteries were treated the same with a bulk rate charger. The only decision, was to flip a switch for 6V or 12V. Then we had smart 3 cycle chargers with charging ranges for different types of batteries. Now each manufacturers tells us at what voltage their batteries should be charged at. Before batteries were cheaper (even at current Dollars) but now they are so expensive we need to spend in appropriate chargers to protect them. The truth is that the stage of current electronics require a more powerful, stable and dependable source of power than what the simple batteries of before could deliver. Perhaps this is the reason why I'm lagging behind in the 90's technology. It still affords simplicity while meeting my needs.