Why Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicole Rocheleau

Hello. . .I am a graduate student in communications who was assigned to research Catlina Sailboats. I am interested in knowing from Catalina owners why you chose to buy a Catalina Sailboat, why you are drawn to and interested in sailing, how you first got into sailing, and just a little about yourself to get a better feel of who is buying these boats. If you could share with me your story and why you became a Catalina owner I would be greatly appreciative, and it would help me on my research a great deal. Thanks, Nicole

D

Dave Veenhuis

Internet influence

I've had an interest in sailing for about 5 years now. I really didn't know any sailors and didn't have any real life exposure to sailing. For that reason, it took quite a while to learn what it was all about. I always thought it was only for the wealthy. I think what convinced me that I could do it was my exposure to sailing pages on the internet. The Catalina 25 page is a very good one. I bought a Cat 25 in April of last year and had a wonderful summer on it. In October, I moved up to a Cat 34. I am now the proud owner of 59' of Catalina. The 25 will go up for sale this spring. Without the exposure to this site and the C25 site, I might not have taken the step to ownership. I discovered a beginning sailing class at Delta College in Bay City via the internet. This class also gave me the confidence to finally become a sailor. I'm very thrilled at what's transpired the last 9 months and can't wait until launch this spring. Dave Veenhuis C34 "Thriller" veenhuis@tir.com

B

Bob Lindridge

Catalina boats are the best value

I have owned sailboats since I was 15 years old. I have had Grampians, C &C's, a Cat 36 and a new Cat 34. We sailed the 36 for 15 years and just bought a new 34 M2. The 36 gave no problems and was traded for 95% of it's new cost toward the 34.The new boat sails well and has more quality built in than even the C&C. Hats off to Catalina people for building a sound boat that does everything it's supposed to. I have a friend that took a $40,000 hit on a Sabre 36 that was only three years old. We plan to go to the Bahamas on Windlass in the next two years and would like to hear about any local knowledge.-----Bob Lindridge

B

Bob Camarena

Sound Value & Space

My Catalina 30 is my 4th sailboat and my second Catalina, the first being a C-27. I was impressed by the relative roominess and value in the Catalinas, especially the 30, which is particularly well suited to sailing in the SF Delta and Bay. We have quite warm summers in the Delta (100+) and the wide open companionway is great. Although not designed for open ocean passages, the boat is well-suited to Bay and coastal sailing. Catalinas are well-designed, middle of the road family boats that are relatively inexpensive to buy, maintain, and easy to sail. The manufacturer has a reputation for customer service. Many a Catalina owner has had the pleasant surprise of having their customer service request personally handled by Frank Butler, the owner. The comparison between Catalinas and the Fords and Chevys of the auto world is pretty much on the mark.

B

Bob Camarena

More

I forgot to mention that with the sheer numbers of Catalinas made, there are many to choose from if one is looking for a used boat. With most other boats, the used boat shopper may find one or two to choose from locally in the right price range. The Catalina shopper usually has a number of boats to choose from in any given market.

B

Bob Robeson

Where do I start

I started sailing as a kid, my father was into sailing. We sailed often in southern Cal. (Oceanside) and raced most every weekend. As I got older I started making or buying my own boats. They started with the Sabot, an 8 ft cat rigged sailboat, then to the litto 14, the lighting, Victory 21, Cal 24, Newport 30, Hunter 34 and now the Catalina 36. Through the late 60’s and early 70’s I crewed on many a race boat, and loved the idea of taking Mother Nature and trying to get it to do what I wanted. Flying the sails, learning the wind, and being outside in a peaceful atmosphere and seeing the whales and dolphins and watching the bow cutting though the water. The high pace of racing and the quite serenity of sailing, no motor, but knowledge, learning more with each sail, and enjoying everything from the sun sets to the motion of the boat itself. Sailing teaches awareness of the surrounding, of your environment and teamwork. It brings to life knowledge and accomplishments like nothing I have ever experienced. Anyone can turn a key and drive a powerboat, and when I want to go fishing or skiing, I too enjoy the speed and power that is only available from one. But for relaxation, thrills beyond speed, and wonderment and fulfillment, there is nothing like sailing. Today I enjoy weekend cruises to different places, and with a family of 3, we needed a good reliable boat with lots of room inside. The Catalina 36 is a very roomy boat that sails very well, it fits our needs and that is why we bought her. I am currently writing a book about sailing. Good luck with your assignment Bob Brobeson@quixnet.net

D

Don Hall

Best boat for the money

As others have said in their responses, Catalina boats are a great value. No other manufacturer gives you as much boat for the money. I've owned 3 sailboats, all Catalinas: 1984 C25, 1987 C30, and soon a 2000 C36 MK2. Each was a great boat, easy to sail, more space than boats of the same length by other manufacturers. And, to my eye better looking than most other boats.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Value, value, value!

As most of the responses so far have stated, value is the main reason for choosing a Catalina. I bought a 1973 a few years back for a variety of reasons. Catalinas are very well known & respected boats. They sail well, can take a lot of abuse and, gosh darnit, they're pretty! They maintain their resale value so well that if you get a good deal when you buy one, chances are good that you'll get most of your money back when you sell. You really can't find a boat with more for the small cash outlay. Tons of living space, great sailing ability and a very good price. An all around great deal! LaDonna

F

fireworks

They survived Huricane BOB

I like many others here have been sailing most of my life. started sailing a bettle cat at age 11. (I sail in the northeast) when I started to look around for a cruising/racer to buy I looked at the local fleets to see what everyone else had. then in the middle of my search Hurrican BOB visited Cape Cod. Lots of boats were a total loss! I saw 2 Catalinas up on the rocks and a few other boats in peices all around them. a few days later the Catalinas were sailing again. those other boat owners? well they were crew. That was enough to tell me that this was a good boat. I had no idea just how right I was until my 25 woundup on the beach. When move up to my 27 i sold her for more than i bought her for!!! Sad to say I am in the Hunt for a live aboard cruiser and they are not on my list. But not because they are bad boats! They just wont fit my needs. but if they did I would not be hunting today! good luck on your paper!

Status
Not open for further replies.