Why A Traveller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Mullenax

I'm just wondering, If my mainsheet is capable of allowing the boom to swing all the way out to the spreaders on either side, and the boom vang is there to hold the boom down for sail shape, why do I need a traveller at all? I mean, why should I care if the connection point of the mainsheet is 2ft to the right of center or 2ft to the left of center when I can just take in or feed out the mainsheet to place the boom wherever I want it?

D

David Foster

Mainsheet works better than vang

because its leverage is much better farther back on the boom. And the lifting forces of the sail on the boom can be higher close hauled, or on a near reach. Great question, though. David Lady Lillie

L

Len Fagan

Main Traveler

The importance is a function of vang arrangement. On my 450 the traveler makes a difference. The basic rules I use is to weather in light air and motorsailing and to leeward in heavy air. This is all about leech twist. If the traveler is on the arch this is an easy and save adjustment. Experiment. Len Fagan "Tale Winds"

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Traveller

David All three of the components you mention are used to control mainsail shape. If the traveller is set upwind in light air on a close reach or closehauled course, and the vang is not engaged, you let the mainsheet out to center the boom and get the most curve into the body of the mainsail. As the wind builds, you can lower the traveller, but the "baggy" mainsail will tend to backwind from the jib, so you harden in on the vang. Eventually, as the wind builds more, you drop the traveller to leeward, tighten the vang more and tighten the mainsheet to give you the flattest sail possible. This is about the time you say "Hmm, time to reef." Suggest you obtain a "Best of Sail Trim" book, from Sail Magazine, or another of the two thousand six hundred and fifty nine volumes about mainsail trim, so you can better understand the interaction of the these three sail shape controls. Then play with them yourself in different wind velocities and see how it works for you. End boom sheeting will work somewhat differently on a boom and a mainsail than will midboom (cabintop) mainsheet / traveller connections. A mainshet is not better than a vang, it is a completely different control. Also, when running dead ownwind, you want the traveller all the way to the side the boom is on, with a tight vang to flatten the sail to get the most drive. There are all sorts of different arrangements between the three controls for different points of sail and wind velocities.

D

David Mullenax

windward traveller

Thanks for the replies, I never thought about needing the traveller up on the windward side under certain conditions, I guess I've never been in the position to use it that way. I think I WILL check out some of the 2,659 volumes on the subject :)

Status
Not open for further replies.