Why a MacGregor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mary

We're shopping for our first sailboat here in Colorado. Why did you select a MacGregor? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. Mary in Boulder

K

Kevin

Mac

Mary, I live in the desert and for now am forced to sail on lakes. It is a few hundred miles to anywhere I want to be on the water. Once I get there it is only practical to spend a few days and I prefer to be comfortable. Sometimes the wind blows, sometimes it doesn't. Interestingly enough, I always have to tinker with things. I love sailing but some of my friends also enjoy more motorized activities. Having said those things: The Mac is light and easily trailerable. The water ballast and swing board allow for shallow anchorages (NM lakes) and make loading and unloading easy. The boat is roomy and allows for multiple days "camping" aboard in comfort. With the larger engine I can pull water toys, get from point a to b quickly and get to shelter when one of our quick moving thunderstorms springs up. I also get to indulge my penchant for sailing. Some will tell you the Mac is slow--I guess in some regards it is but you can still develop your sailing skills and perhaps you become a better sailer eeking out that last bit. The Mac is considered quite spartan. While I enjoy the clean lines and lack of clutter, some miss the wood trim, etc. Because I enjoy tinkering the Mac is a blank canvas. My lines are lead aft, roller furling, inboard 18 gallon fuel tank, pressure water, 12 volt refrigeration, swampcooler, am/fm/cd changer, GPS, etc. I enjoy modifying the boat. The aquisition cost allows me the free resources to make some additions to the boat. Some will complain of the lightly built hull and rigging, yet I've never seen any confirmation of a Mac breaking apart or failing. It is not a blue water boat and was never intended to take horrendous punishment--it will however keep you safe with a bit of prudence. All in all it is a compromise that suits my needs for now. Of course I look at Hunters and admire the lines and quality, Catalinas, Lagunas, etc. There are some wonderful options and I realize that each of us make the choices we make based upon circumstance. Once you define your goals and expectations do some research and then sail some different boats. Your decision will become clearer then. P.S. Someday I will move to the water and probably choose a Gemini 105--a very different boat than the mac but I think I will always fondly remember this time...

D

dan

Lakeability !

I got my 98' 26X for trailering to Lake Powell, McConaughy etc. The boat is the lightest to tow for a 26. Plus you have no keel when the centerboard is up. Look carefully at all the other boats. They all seem to have 1'-3' keels even when trailering. Makes it hard to pull to shore for a breather. The MAC is also the most roomy. You can also motor out of trouble FAST ! Try motoring fast with any other boat...NOT ! Mine sails great and handles well. Even saved a 16' powerboat the other day. The MAC makes a great tug with the sails down and ballast in. The MAC gives you the most versatility for sailing in our waters. good luck dan

R

Robert

Where?

I am impressed by all that you have added to your Mac 26X. I would like to increase the fuel capacity on mine so I am interested in where you found room for 18 gals. Did you have to custom make the tanks? How do you access them to fill them? Thanks

K

Kevin

Fuel tank

Robert: I don't have pics of my installation yet. Here is a website that inspired me and I must give credit where due. My installation is quite similar except I used the following tank: Tempo from Boatersworld.com item 356450106. Still tons of room in the aft berth and it's nice to have the weight down low. Let me know if you have other questions. K www.nisa.net/~harbro/windarra.html

M

Mike F

Why a 26x?

Mary, Why a 26x? You live in Boulder, you have quick access to the Anchorage in Lyons which is a Mac dealer. If you haven't been there already go take a look see, talk to Sam or one of the other guys who work on the boats there, not the owners and see what they say. They all sail mac 25s and 26c's. They have a great selection of used boats there so you can touch them all and get an idea about them first hand.

D

dan

Tempo 9GAS tanks !

Dual 9 GA tanks fit in each outside holds in the stern. STRAP THEM DOWN! with 1" ss straps with thru bolts. Use rubber door mats for pads (Walmart......your affordable Marine Store!)Leave studs in the holds to remove the tanks for fill. Use HUGE ss fender washers in the (THIN) cabin ceiling. Seal everything with silicon or sikaflex. happy sailing....... dan

Status
Not open for further replies.