Whoa, slow that horse down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2010
Precision 18 Biloxi
I have a P18 with a 4HP, 4 stroke Mercury that is starting to concern me. Am having problems docking in a congested Marina. I have always prided myself on docking skills but this is starting to exasperate me. I cannot slow the boat down enough and the obstruction from the catbird seats further challenges me. When I put the boat in gear at absolute minimum throttle (either forward or reverse) the boat takes off. After 2 sessions of practice (with 2 deck hands) I can say that the boat moves 1-1/2 boat lengths within about 1 to 1-1/2 seconds after putting it in gear. I actually counted 1001, 1002 today.This is the first 4 stroke that I've owned, and I've added a high thrust propeller and high thrust wings. This created a dramatic improvement in strong currents and heavy seas. The motor is an absolute hoss in heavy, breaking seas. But these mods did not create the docking problems. Even unmodified I had the same problem with the stock motor when I first bought it new. Do you think that this is typical (and expected) of a 4 stroke? I'm thinking of going to a trolling motor like Jack did on his P165. Jack, can you tell me what thrust and shaft length you used? I only have to to travel about 300 feet before I can fire the "Brute" up. Did you run your trolling motor off of your portable battery? Is it possible to travel 600-100 feet on a portable battery and take it home to charge? Do you have pictures of how you created an add on bracket? Thanks a million, Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.