jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1602542419394.png

A serious dispute....

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Been there back in the early 90's. Didn't see any machine gun nests on the rock :) But who knows now?
Maybe the Puffins?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Must be more than sea birds involved. I was looking at history. Maybe tomorrow.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
You know the saying, " We'll have to agree to disagree"... Cuz that about sums it up... ICE and USBP routine conduct OPs in that area.. Our cousins to the north decided with our government NOT to pursue a ruling in The Hague.

If you think this is interesting, check out Derby Line, VT. The border runs right thru the center of town and the library sits on the line.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
There anomalies all over the world.
You would think by now that we and the Canadians might have resolved all of our border disputes.
Apparently not.
Barna Norton felt like he owned this border island, and he defended that island his entire life.
Maybe he did own it, maybe he didn’t, and who knows why?
Interesting none the less.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I believe the decision to NOT have the world court decide was so that both countries could maintain normal relations with out souring them over a nothing rock...

I guess Solomon would run the boundary right down the " centah "

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
over a nothing rock...
But a glorious Bird Sanctuary and site of a Light House.

And it appears to be a Boat ride away that has a long waiting list to get a chance to visit.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Well ya don't need to go that far downeast to see both a bird sanctuary and light house(s) in the same pic...

On the mid-coast is Eastern Egg Rk. a nesting ground of the elusive Puffin. To the west is Pemaquid Light and to the east thru Davis Straight is Marshall Pt Light ( Forrest Gump ran up to it, turned and retreated ).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is all about the lobsters.

The US has a longer season than Canada. If it is Canadian waters, Maine Lobsterpeople can't trap lobsters.

It is also leverage and a negotiating point in our ongoing trade disputes with Canada.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Or maybe Little Gull Island in the Race of LI Sound. Bird Poop Palace. Hardly a tree to take cover under. You'd be lucky not to slip on the poop and crack your head. Talking of disputes, the Town of Southold and Fisher's Island still have a tenuous arrangement. It's complicated.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
It is all about the lobsters.

The US has a longer season than Canada. If it is Canadian waters, Maine Lobsterpeople can't trap lobsters.

It is also leverage and a negotiating point in our ongoing trade disputes with Canada.
The season is year round. Granted some lobstermen choose not to fish in the winter as the critters retreat to deeper water..but it does go on 365...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
You have all these magnificent places @sailme88 I am guessing the little island is just another place.
Neat picture of one of your lighthouses showed up on my screen.
1602550306646.png

And here is the US/CANADIAN Island...
1602550387268.png

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
You have all these magnificent places @sailme88 I am guessing the little island is just another place.
Neat picture of one of your lighthouses showed up on my screen.
View attachment 185946

And here is the US/CANADIAN Island...
View attachment 185947
We both enjoy terrific sailing grounds.. The closest land to our disputed island is Cutler.. It's claim to fame is/was the navy's VLF system. It allowed for one way comms to submerged subs. Also in that area is Campabelo Is. It IS in Canada. It's where FDR was stricken with polio.

The upper pic is an older rendering of Portland Head. It's construction was authorized by Washington. It's about 4nm from my mooring.

Last edited: