Who lives on their 322?

Mar 2, 2014
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs, MS
Where is your main sleeping area? I'm 6' and single and have always considered using the salon table as a nice, big bed. Anyone give me any feedback for the different areas of the boat? Did you buy mattress pads? Any precut sheets fit as is?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have slept in 3 different locations on my O322, but just for over-nights...nothing long term:

- rear berth - a little short for you maybe, and certainly too narrow for 2 people I think. Hot if you have been motoring as the engine is right next to the berth. A little claustrophobic. I considered trying to make an extension to the berth or removing the bulkhead way at the back to lengthen it just a little, but haven’t done it.

- dining area - my boat came with a wood insert to make a berth out of the starboard settee. But the cushion is only about 1/2 as thick as the settee cushion. And I found the length too short (I am 5’10”, 200 lbs), and the width not great as you are sort of jammed next to the table (Which has to be lowered). More open and airy than the rear berth, but not a great sleeping area. And it has to be moved to use the settee and table.

-V berth - open and airy as you have the hatch above you. The starboard side is longer, but your feet May feel a bit squished in the V. I spend more nights here than the other 2 locations.

my boat had a piece of memory foam cut for the rear berth...and it made it much more comfortable to sleep on. The stock cushions are not real comfy... mine are about 30 years old...so have certainly lost some of their cushion.

Enjoy the 322!

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
I sleep single in the V-berth, the starboard side has a length of almost 7'. I am 6'1" and find it extremely comfortable,, not even necessary to put in the 1st insert, much less the 2nd insert. However, the port side is very short due to the locker, and I have never slept two up there. Not sure it would be possible. All of Tally Ho's other comments I concur.

The aft cabin is spacious for one, but probably barely doable for two (and certainly not comfortably). For one person, there is room to have duffle bags and/or storage tubs back there in addition to the person, beside the person. I took out the back foot-wall to access various hoses, and my friend puts his extra luggage back there, way out of the way.

The center dinette, the foot-well fill cushion is only 1" thick and unsleepable. It looks nice but it is unusable. Also, it is barely long enough for a 6' person. I did buy a mattress topper to cover the whole area, and it was pretty soft, but again I had to sleep catty-corner and it wasn't overly long. I gave up on the idea. Plus, it was a mess in the main living area.

I consider it a great boat for two, (one sleeps in v-berth, and one aft). You can leave your bags in place the whole week. I have entertained three for a few days, by having the third sleep on the port settee (the back of the settee comes off and creates a space half-again as wide, which is good for the persons shoulders. Sleeping head to chart table, with feet forward. But three for more than a few days would get tiresome.

For a 10 day vacation for two people the O'Day 322 is very comfortable. I put many of the dry goods provisions in the footwell of the U-dinette. . Both sit for dinner on the port side of the table. The 322 has many positive attributes, but lots of storage is not one of them......

For TV time - the U-shaped dinette can be covered with the 1" foam in the evening, first person lays in the U-dinnette area. Second person lays on the port settee. I have the TV mounted on port side forward main cabin bulkhead on a swing bracket.

Two different young couples have documented their year-long cruise in the Bahamas on an O'Day 322 (the same O'Day 322, Tanguaray which was later bought by Gary of the Bahamas) , so it is definitely livable for a year for two people. I suspect they had many storage bins in the aft cabin.

While this was eight years ago the blog is still up and running for one of the couples.

Mar 2, 2014
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs, MS
Thanks for the input. I've read about the Tanqueray, lot of good info.

Jul 14, 2012
ODay 322 7385 San Diego
Where is your main sleeping area? I'm 6' and single and have always considered using the salon table as a nice, big bed. Anyone give me any feedback for the different areas of the boat? Did you buy mattress pads? Any precut sheets fit as is?

Thanks!
Hi there , my wife and I have taken many many nights sleeping together with enough space in the V berth of our 322 Dream On with no complaints , I’m 5’8” and she is little bit shorter than me but I use always the port side and it’s still enough room after my feet towards the forward side. We can always open the hatch for fresh air or to see the stars,
The original foam is comfortable enough but we wanted it to be more comfy so we purchased a rectangular foam mattress from Ikea MINNESUND Foam mattress, firm, white, Queen - IKEA then we took the foam out of the cover bag and cut to the same dimensions of the V berth from the starboard layout to the side line marked by the edge of the port closet, so there is a small triangle ahead of the closet with no matress that we use to store small duffle bags or the pillows we don’t use to sleep , then the foam back to the cover bag and then folded the empty fwd sections of the cover bag below the foam, voila !! Now it is super comfy. If we are going to open the closet or dive into the storage box below the V berth this mattress is very easy to fold and hold while we look for what we need.
It was a funny project and now we enjoy more the V berth each time we go to the boat.

The dinnete area is in my opinion not the best area because as many wrote before the cushion is very thin , it make a mess of the main living area and the divider section between the settee and the wood insert makes your sleeping miserable while hurting your back.

For one eventual visit the port settee is good enough to have good rest .

The aft berth is spacious enough for two people but you can feel claustrophobic, this is the place that I have spent less time ever in my boat, we use it mainly for storage and eventually one person or two have used it for sleeping for a couple of nights.

But remember, try to sleep in all the areas once at least so you will get adapted to the best area to satisfy your needs ,
Hope you find this useful !!
Happy sail !! ⛵

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
My home afloat is the aft cabin. Love it! in fact I intend to sleep there tomorrow!