White Smoke Question

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Had a great sail yesterday...that is the good news...The bad news is when I started the Westerbeke 10-2 diesel there was a very small amount of white smoke at the tailpipe...When motoring back to the slip I noticed it again....the engine seemed to be running fine, but there is not as much water coming out of the exhaust pipe as in prior years.....could this be the cause of the white smoke..?..The engine does not seem to be running hot at all.. The engine starts fine...any ideas are greatly appreciated...Also, I have not changed the impeller this year either....did change the oil. after launching in early May.
Patrick

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
My Westerbeast has some white smoke on startup. This is caused by unburned fuel blowing through. As my engine heats up, this goes away. The white smoke while running (to me) indicates a problem with the raw water system. Steam means your exhaust is not being cooled enough. I would check your impeller first for missing vanes. And hunt them down if they are missing as they will clog the system reducing your water flow.

Not as much water as normal from the exhaust sounds like vanes missing from the raw water pump.

I would definitely fix it now before it becomes a real problem with heat exchanger and elbow fouling.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
the engine seemed to be running fine, but there is not as much water coming out of the exhaust pipe as in prior years.....could this be the cause of the white smoke..?..
See if you can get your fingers into the exhaust water to check on the temperature. If hot, it's probably steam as opposed to smoke.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thank to both of you who replied...Thinking about this, it could be steam as it was not like
smoke that you could see following the boat....so it might be steam and what does that mean? I have not changed the impeller this year....but certainly have reduced flow...

Would the exhaust water not bun? Probably another dumb question....Pat

Apr 11, 2005
Bayfield 36 Rock Creek
I think you have provided the best clue: "not as much water flow as in prior years". Start first at the impeller. Check for broken vanes and look downstream if you find them, searching for blockages. Check thru-hull and strainer for water flow also. No need to possibly scald yourself feeling water exhaust temps.

Tod

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Don't forget about the mixing elbow..... Often a cause of reduced water flow. Good luck