White Residue

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Pinkham

Hi, I'm in the process of re-wiring my mast and have run into quite a few places where the contact of mast to stainless steel brackets or bolts yields a white residue. What's the best way to clean this stuff off the metal? And is there something I should apply to the surfaces in question before re-installing (to prevent more residue)? Also, if anyone has an opinion on CDI furlers versus Schaefer I'd like to hear about it. Thanks, Happy New Year Tim

C

CHARLIE

Mast wiring

Tim, I re-wired my mast lst all when I came out of the water. The wiring in my mast ran thru a piece of PVC conduit riveted to the inside of the mast (I don't know how they did that)Where the mast head/foredeck light was attached had some of what your calling white residue. I believe that its just a corrosive powder from the aluminium stainless contact. I wire brushed mine down as clean as I could and brushed on what the call "Alodine" Its a protective coating for aluminium i got at work. Maybe West MArine might have something like it. Good Luck. Charlie

G

George B.

Galvanic Corrosion

That white powder is oxidized aluminum, the by product of galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion happens when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other. Salt water environments accelerate the process. You need to re-bed your stainless screws and fittings with something like Forespar's Lanocote in order to arrest the corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.