white finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark schaefer

the white finish on the cabinets in the head on my 86 28.5 is peeling off.has anyone refinished the cabinets...how did you remove the rest of the finish and what did finally refinish with...thanks

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check it out.

Mark: You must have just missed the recent post regarding this exact thing. *Interior Plastic Coating is Seperating from Wall 4/1/2000 @ 3:18pm* Some have suggested overlaying with formica, stainless or aluminum and replacement. Check out the archives.

D

Doug

We used paint

It depends on a couple factors. 1) how much is peeling? 2) How often do you shower in that area. What we did: I had one cabinet completely delaminating and a few isolated spots (under 6 sq. inches). As we were refitting the rest of the boat including hull liner I wanted an easy answer. I took a chip off the wall, took it too the local paint store and had them match with a high gloss (better for water) exterior grade latex paint. I also purchased a good primer. I completely primed and painted the cabinet using a wagner spayer. Mixing a little thick gets a bumpy finish almost identical to the original finish. You cant tell no matter how close you examine. Looks awesome. The small spots I peeled up until I hit the border where adhesion was still good. I lightly sanded the wood and the edge of existing laminate. I primed (twice) and painted with brush and "stippled" the area with the end of bristles to create slight texture to match area. Again...success. We have installed a shower curtain that snaps in a circle around headliner and improved ventilation in shower area to prevent further delam. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.