Whisker Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Dean

This weekend was not a race day. Went out on Sunday and did some "tuning" with my crew. Regards the whisker pole. My mast pole car is on the front of the Isomat mast and is fixed at about 6'4'' above the deck. It came that way when I purchased the boat. The car is limited in its travel by two screws - top and bottom to the car. If I take out the screws the pole car has almost full travel of the mast. When I fly the pole. it is attached to the mast at this point (6'4" above the deck). The boom yoke is about 4' off the deck Is there any advantage in moving the car to a new or lower loacation - say just opposite the boom yoke ?? When I use the w-pole in a race - I try and keep it parallel to the boom - at the 6'4"" height allowed by the fixed car on the mast. What are the other racers doing regards the location of the car, relative to the boom yoke ??? Is there any advantages to a specific location of the car relative to the boom or deck ?? R Dean

B

Bruce Leidal

Adjustment for the Whisker Pole

Dean, I sail a 29.5 and have a 6' track mounted on the front of my mast. The pole car is adjustable from 1' to 7' above the deck. I have raced on a number of boats with whisker poles and have found that the sail performs best when the pole is parallel to the deck when attached to the clew of the jib. If the pole is attached to a lower position on the mast, the jib will twist open at the top and dump wind. When the pole in in a high positiono on the mast it will tend to tighten the leach making the slot inefficient. Bottom-line...parallel to the deck is best. I suspect the 6'4" position is about at the clew hight on the mast. If not, I suggest adjusting it until it is. Bruce.

D

Del Wiese

make it adjustable

I installed a "car" on my mast and made it adjustable by adding one cheek block about 12 feet up the mast and another about 3 feet off the deck. A line goes from the top of the car, through the block high on the mast, through the lower block, to the bottom of the car. I use a pair of cam cleats to control the position of the car. Does this description make sense? If need be, I can send a sketch, or a picture.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Ditto Del re Make It Adjustable

The setup I have on my H-35 is the same as Del explained so I'd ditto everything Del said about making the car adjustable, with one exception. The lower block or pad-eye is a good place for the jib sheet to hang-up; mine does every so often and usually we can shake it loose but if not someone has to run forward. If the block and pad-eye was lower there may be less opportunity for the sheet to snag, or better, if something provided below the block/pad-eye which would not give the sheet an opportunity. Wish I had a picture but, unfortunately, I don't have one at present. If I get out to the boat tomorrow I'll take a picture.

Jul 1, 1998
Spinnaker Pole Car for Hunter 35

For Robert Dean: This is a picture of my spinnaker pole car setup. The car has a block on the upper and lower side. Both blocks rotate 360-degrees on their axis and looking at the picture I can see the lower block rotated 180-degrees; I'll turn it around tomorrow. The lower cheek block and eye strap is where the jib sheet like to snag when comming about. Not always but often enough it's a pain. Install the lower cheek block and eye strap low enough so the car can be removed from the track without unscrewing them. Use anti-seze or Forespar Lanocote to prevent galling of the stainless screws in the mast.

Jul 1, 1998
Spinnaker Car Picture for H-35

Well, hopefully this is the picture!

J

John Nantz (totally embarrased by now!)

Spinnaker Car Photo for H-35

Third times the charm. File names are not supposed to have spaces and I can use the "back" button. Learning to read directions!

A

Annonymous

H-35 Spinnaker Car <500 Pixles

Okay, there are no spaces in the file name, less 80K file size, less than 500 pixles high, and don't use the "abort this post" option because it doesn't abort. Thought I'd let Phil know the last item didn't work for me. However, this time should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.