Which "white" is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
Has anyone discovered which of the many "white" paint colors offered by Interlux or Petit is the best match to our gelcoat hull topsides?

I am removing mismatched paint used by a previous owner to cover some hull scratches (it's very beige and he put it on with a 3" brush!) and I'd like to find a better match without having to buy three quarts of paint and doing trial and error. I have Interlux color chip charts, but with white, the paint usually looks different once you see it dry on the boat. Has anyone else already found a good match?

Attachments

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
I'd say that unless you paint the whole thing (All of the white areas), it's going to show in some way.

Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
<<I'd say that unless you paint the whole thing (All of the white areas), it's going to show in some way>>

Sure, I know that. I'm just trying to minimize the difference by using the closest matching paint color. Rather than slather it on like it is now, I'll use an artist's brush to cover just the scratches with a few coats, then feather the edges and buff it out. Instead of having 9" x 9" squares of beige/white paint covering a 1/8" wide scratch, I will have a few lines of slightly different white with the same gloss as the surrounding hull areas. It should be unnoticeable to a casual observer, at least that's the plan! I'm just trying to avoid buying three different quarts of white to find the best match. I'm sure one of our group has already found a good color and will share.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
I understood and I wish that I could do the same. I've tried a few things including a recommendation of a product with 'matching color" from CD and no joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.